Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Recommendation for First Tank Inhabitant

vcampos2000

We just set up a Fluval Edge 12Gal nano reef tank using live sand, live rocks, and ocean water from Petco in additon to setting up heating, lighting, and filtration. What is the first tank inhabitants should we introduce first after the tank is cycled?

Thank you.

Hermits and snails for sure. there cheap, easy to remove if you don't want them later, great indicators for deadly compounds and start cleaning up all the algae from the initial cycle.

Be careful buying nay fancy shrimp since there gonna be relatively sensitive to toxic compounds from cycling.

Hermits are definitely the way to go, but like they mentioned, make sure your tank has some time to cycle. Hermit crabs are relatively hardy and cheap ($1-2), but you don't want them trying to survive with high levels of ammonia/nitrites. Also, you might need to pick up some food (dried seaweed) if your tank doesn't have enough algae/life growing on rocks for them.

I tested my tank for ammonia and Nitrate/Nitrates and the results were zero using test strips. I will test again in a few days.

Might try the hermit crabs as suggested after a week or two. Thanks!

It's great you are interested in testing your water parameters as testing your parameters and maintaining them is the foundation of a successful tank. However, strips aren't known for being very reliable unfortunately and it would be best to find a local fish specialty shop that can test the water for you and confirm your results until you are ready to invest in a more accurate test kit.

IMO, you should avoid all hermits and stick with snails only. Eventually, they start becoming predatory on your snails, which can get very expensive!

IMO, you should avoid all hermits and stick with snails only. Eventually, they start becoming predatory on your snails, which can get very expensive!

+1 avoid hermits, keep them in your sump if you want but dont keep them in a display with snails or they will eat your snails. Hermits grow too large for their shell and need to find a new shell eventually, which means killing your snails for a new shell. I wouldnt trust petco or any fish store for testing water since A) their test kits might be inferior, and B) its an employee who makes 10 bucks an hour so what do they care if the test is inaccurate. If your going to keep saltwater, you need good test kits, and dont rely on a store to test water for you. If I owned a store, I could tell you your calcium is too low and than sell you a calcium supplement you dont need.

Not all lfs are like that, if you build a friendship they will help you out. Not to mention you can watch them while they test your water.

Turbos arent the best choice as far as initial CuC are concerned... Likely you won't have enough nuisance algae to keep them fed. Either exchange them for something like a Solomon trochus, Nerite, or astreas that will do ok with film algae or just get some unseasoned nori to supplement their diet. Should you opt to keep them, I'm betting you'll never have an issue with green hair algae, but at the cost of having to nail down every coral you add. ;)

I've had good luck with DWARF species of hermit crabs in my tank. IMO they're one of the best bang for the buck stocking choices as far as entertainment value and utility are concerned. Rotate out a set of 3-5 various sized shells every few weeks and make sure at least a few pellets hit the sandbed at feeding time to keep them well fed and they'll usually be more comical than Lecter-esque. Oh and avoid the blue-legs... NOTHING seems to keep them from an eventual snail murder spree.

Archived