Innovative Marine Aquariums

Oceanic Circulation Pump (gph250)

citori525

Back in the day when I had a bit of cash to spend in my pocket, I was looking for a way to get better circulation around my tank. I went down to the local PETCO and found the Oceanic Circulation Pump that pushed 250 gallons per hour. I thought it should be plenty good enough for my 10 gallon tank. Setup was simple. Put the male end in the female end, and apply the suction cup on the glass, then rotate the head to where you'd like the flow. After doing that, I plugged it in. The initial noise it made was awful. After the new wore off and it quieted down a little bit, it was still extremely loud for such a small pump. The flow was good but I was very disappointed with the noise. I let it run anyways. One day after getting a new coral frag from a friend, I unplugged the pump so the frag would stick better to the rock. After about an hour I plugged it back in. It was extremely quiet. Too quiet. It wasn't working. I tried it again, and again, and again. It ceased to work. I had only had it for 8 days and it died. So I took it back to PETCO and they just gave me my money back. All in all, I would not recommend this pump to anyone. Between the noise and it dying, its true that they say you get what you pay for. It can move water well in the 10 gallon tank, but cheap materials and construction made it unreliable.

Archived