SaltCritters.com

HOB skimmer setup fail or...?

chabooky386

:huh: I just got this HOB BH-100SS skimmer and it is suppose to surface skim but, mine is completely submerged... Am I doing something wrong here with the setup?

post-71617-1350661867_thumb.jpg

If i'm understanding that picture correctly, the white tube is an airhose, the unit is suction cpped to the wall, and the clear plastic at the top is the skimate cup. If all that is true, yes you are doing things horrifically wrong.

The way air powered skimmers work is they create a stream of bubbles, which then creates a foam (like the foam you see at the ocean) which traps the "nasty gunk" you are skimming for. You then remove the foam/liquid the foam reduces to.

Given all that, you should raise the unit until it is half submerged. There are probably directions in the instructions for fine tuning how out of water it is (or fine tuning the air supply)

The clear "cup" in the picture is the intake cup not the skimmate cup. It should be right below the water surface.

+1

Surface skimming is only going to be efficient in a controlled water level though i would imagine. So i wouldnt worry about it too much unless your hanging this off a sump.

i believe the pipe that comes after the elbow is adjustable

have you try adjusting or just moving it up and down?

I can sway left and right but, it won't be even with the surface of the water.

maybe a full pic of how its haning on your tank

would help so we can give you more input

Pull harder....the cup has a neck below it and it should move upward a couple of inches or so at least.

• Like 1

Archived