inTank Media Baskets

Prazipro reef safe? anyone tried on reef

clownfishlover

clownfishlover

Hi

I would usually take them out and QT them, but right now I dont have much corals in there except a few Acans and a torches. I have been reading ReefCent saying is fine. They haven't tried it in a nano yet though.

Hi

I would usually take them out and QT them, but right now I dont have much corals in there except a few Acans and a torches. I have been reading ReefCent saying is fine. They haven't tried it in a nano yet though.

Best method to treat any fish with meds is in a Hospital tank. Especially clownfishes as they as so small, you can get a 10g glass tank at Petco for $10. After the infection is over, just store in the garage for the next time you need to quarantine a fish or treat for infection.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=parzipro

My experience has been to not use medications in a reef, even if the bottle says it's okay.

Christine

+1 totally agree... this is a bad method to treat diseases by treating the whole tank where corals don't need to have any of that medication going through their system. most fish diseases don't affect corals at all, but the meds do. i know from experience as i've tested quite a few reef safe meds and short term, like one dose, you probably don't see any long term effect, but continual dosing will affect the health of your corals, whether visible or not.

Hi

Looks like my clown lately has white stringy waste. Does anyone know if Prazipro is reefsafe?

thanks alot

in the future, if you get anymore clowns, always quarantine them and treat them in prazipro for 2 weeks before putting them into your display tank. this is a good practice, especially for young clowns as it is so easy for them to get internal parasites. this should be standard practice and i would keep them in quarantine for at least another 2 weeks beyond the 2 week prazipro treatment to be sure other diseases don't pop up.

for now, take the fishes out and put them in a hospital tank with prazipro.

I have used Prazipro more than once in my reef tank and in my experience have found it to be perfectly safe. My boyfriend also used it in his reef for his anthias and had no adverse side effects. The experience could be different for everyone, but Prazi is a de-worming medication that theoretically should not harm any of your fish or biological filtration (bacteria) in your tank. The only thing that will be affected are feather dusters and other ornamental worms.

While I agree completely that dosing meds in an established reef tank is risky at best, I think there are some instances were it may be appropriate. Usually it's not because of laziness or lack of funds to set up a quick hospital tank (use a 5 gallon bucket even!) though.

But sometimes the effects of removing a prized specimen from it's environment may hinder it's recovery more than help it.

In those cases there are certain medications which can be delivered through food. I've used metronidazole (seachem) combined with a food binder (focus - also seachem) that works for many of the parasites that may cause white stringy feces. This delivers a very specific, targeted dose.

While I agree completely that dosing meds in an established reef tank is risky at best, I think there are some instances were it may be appropriate. Usually it's not because of laziness or lack of funds to set up a quick hospital tank (use a 5 gallon bucket even!) though.

But sometimes the effects of removing a prized specimen from it's environment may hinder it's recovery more than help it.

In those cases there are certain medications which can be delivered through food. I've used metronidazole (seachem) combined with a food binder (focus - also seachem) that works for many of the parasites that may cause white stringy feces. This delivers a very specific, targeted dose.

+1 agree

I have used Prazipro more than once in my reef tank and in my experience have found it to be perfectly safe. My boyfriend also used it in his reef for his anthias and had no adverse side effects. The experience could be different for everyone, but Prazi is a de-worming medication that theoretically should not harm any of your fish or biological filtration (bacteria) in your tank. The only thing that will be affected are feather dusters and other ornamental worms.

agree that sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. i've used a lot of different medications over the years and have come to the conclusion that it's best not to stress out your corals in anyway.

it's same for humans... do we want to knowingly eat or drink anything that would cause cancer, even if they state that below so many parts per million, it would be safe??? btw, is that really a photo of you in the avatar?

clownfishlover

Hi thanks for the reply

that's the reason why i don't want to remove them. Certainly is not because of fund. They have been happy in the tank for a while and lately they have cleaning the bottom of the torch. I have been feeding more live food and frozen food to get them to spawn. It might have cause the parasite. I just dont' think moving them is going to make them happy rather they spawn or not. Plus the fact the stress will be alot more.

I will take the Acans out though, the thing about Seachem is they are not a joke med. A little overdose can kill the clowns easily. They work but too me they are just too dangerous. This is my opinion about Seachem. I have tried many of there meds.

thanks

Seachem is just a brand. Follow the directions carefully and you shouldn't have any worries about over dosing.

Metronidazole is a great product though. You can find the same drug from different brands I'm sure if you prefer another brand. And as I mentioned before it's particularly effective when used with the binder and food.

+1 agree

agree that sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. i've used a lot of different medications over the years and have come to the conclusion that it's best not to stress out your corals in anyway.

it's same for humans... do we want to knowingly eat or drink anything that would cause cancer, even if they state that below so many parts per million, it would be safe??? btw, is that really a photo of you in the avatar?

I agree. Just putting my two cents in! And my clownfish still have white stringy poop so the Prazi didn't do much to help, but they're fat and healthy so I don't put much thought to it. And yes that is me in my avatar haha.

Archived