Innovative Marine Aquariums

My pico reef (8 pics)

jimpruitt

Cellenzweig

Nice work Jim! I'm thinking of starting one of those soon. I just have a couple questions. Have you considered chopping the light pole (arm, whatever you want to call it) down to bring the light closer to the water? A lot of people seem to be doing this. Also, how are you heating you Pico?

Cellenzweig: I considered shortening the light, but I'd end up breaking it because I'm dumb.

I don't heat it at all. It's at work, so the temp doesn't ever get too low.

Dolfan: The light came in the box from Red Sea. You can buy it seperate however.

I have a ricordia just like that! Looks great, my ric has just starting making new mouths and doesn't split! It's bigger then the palm of my hand, be ready for that guy to grow.

Cellenzweig
I considered shortening the light, but I'd end up breaking it because I'm dumb.
LoL! You're clearly smart enough to get a nice lookin pico reef going!

I don't heat it at all. It's at work, so the temp doesn't ever get too low.
I guess that makes it easy. Heating is the only problem I've come across with these tanks. I'm thinking of using a small piece of Flexx-Watt heat tape on the bottom of mine and sealing it with silicone... that should work.... and may possibly be safe!:(

Sounds like a plan Cellenzweig. Did you miss out on the sale at petco? I got this baby for $20 there.

I also got the cleaner shrimp there for $10 (flame away people).

Cellenzweig
I have a ricordia just like that! Looks great, my ric has just starting making new mouths and doesn't split!
Riccordia are wierd like that. Sometimes they will grow a new mouth in a matter of weeks, but take another year or more to split. Most of my rics have multiple mouths, but they rarely split. (unfortunately, as I have an awsome pair of pink riccordia florida polyps that I want to be a colony!) You're definately right about size! A ric that is the size of a quarter can grow to the size of your fist in a very short period of time if conditions are favourable.

Colin

Cellenzweig
Sounds like a plan Cellenzweig. Did you miss out on the sale at petco? I got this baby for $20 there.
I heard about it, but unfortuantely I live in Canada (well... not unfortunately - I like it here) and we don't have Petco. They normally go for about $50Cdn here. That's probably about $30-$35 American. The main problem is that there are so many other projects on the go - aquariums, reptiles, renovations, etc...

I picked one up today at Petco for $19.99, not sure what I want to with it though. I might turn it into a pico reef, or I might just stick my Betta in it. Or I might stick some freshwater plants n it. I'm a little concerned about turning it into a pico reef, because I don't want to take away from the time I use on my 16g.

Cellenzweig

I just picked up mine and started it up with some rock and sand that I had cycling in a 2.5g for a couple months. Great little package!

OxInYourBox

I enjoyed mine while I had it setup. I ran the stock light along with two other PC's on it. I used some legos to create holders for the lights so that they were literally level with the top of it. Evap was a PITA as I couldn't get it sealed and I went with the DIY air valve setup for top off. Ended up breaking it down in lieu of a 5G mantis tank. :)

Still a nice lil tank. Love the pics Jim.

mattbryant2

could someone who is knowledgeable and patient be so kind as to inform me on everything that is needed to set up and maintain this tank? i don't have a large established tank to take from, but i could get stuff from my lfs. thanks.

Originally posted by Cellenzweig

LoL!  You're clearly smart enough to get a nice lookin pico reef going!

I guess that makes it easy.  Heating is the only problem I've come across with these tanks.  I'm thinking of using a small piece of Flexx-Watt heat tape on the bottom of mine and sealing it with silicone... that should work.... and may possibly be safe!:(

I use a under the tank heater from FMR. It's made to heat small tanks for land hermit crabs. I have it on a timer so it comes on when the lights go off ( I have two 7w lights in a ABS canopy I made for it) and it keeps it around 79 to 80 degrees in my office which is about 75 to 76 degrees.

I'm about to start one of these little picos up with the same tank. I wish I had caught the sale! I've been trying to figure out the heating problem. The heating pad sounds like a good idea. Are there any other heating options? I imagine there are quite a few people out there trying to figure this out.

Cellenzweig
I use a under the tank heater from FMR. It's made to heat small tanks for land hermit crabs. I have it on a timer so it comes on when the lights go off ( I have two 7w lights in a ABS canopy I made for it) and it keeps it around 79 to 80 degrees in my office which is about 75 to 76 degrees.
The Flex-watt is basically the same thing, but in bulk. You buy it by the foot and cut it off where you want it. The temperature is controlled with a dimmer. It's really cheap and works great. I've got a few feet left from my reptile setups. If you can find it, it only costs ~$3 per foot. (4 inch wide)

Right now I'm using a 50w tronic heater in my Pico. It's way oversized, but it seems to keep the tank pretty stable.

Archived