Innovative Marine Aquariums

ATO JBJ/Tunze/Elos

sfnt125

Hi y'all,

I am going to purchase an ATO system this week and was wondering what everyones take was on each of the different systems above.

I have a 20L and don't want a huge amount of equipment in my display. I am going to purchase a CPR fuge or Finnex Fuge as well so I don't have a sump either.

Please tell me what you like and don't like about each of the systems and I will go from there. Thanks in advance everyone!

Scott

I can't speak for the other models, but I have the JBJ ATO and it's been great for me. It did arrive with one float sensor that wasn't working properly, but once I called JBJ they quickly shipped me two brand new floats and I've never had any issues with it since.

I just purchased the Tunze osmolator 3155 which is WICKED works great and has had great review, they say it is one of the best ATO if money isn't an issue as they are a little on the expensive side, but after purchasing mine, I found out that they have a tunze osmolator nano which is around 100bux includes everything which will be cheaper or just as much as the JBJ....

Here it is:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/tunze-osmolator-r-nano

I just purchased the Tunze osmolator 3155 which is WICKED works great and has had great review, they say it is one of the best ATO if money isn't an issue as they are a little on the expensive side, but after purchasing mine, I found out that they have a tunze osmolator nano which is around 100bux includes everything which will be cheaper or just as much as the JBJ....

Here it is:

The Tunze Nano ATO is a completely different ATO system from the original osmolator and comes with only one float type switch. The JBJ ATO is still a better value and has more features for less money.

I have the Tunze Osmolator and love it. Its a bit pricey but the security of having 2 different sensors gives me piece of mind. Its uses the electric eye but incase of failure it has a back up.

I'd rather buy more coral.

I know what you mean. But I came home two days ago to a tank that was a gallon low. Wife not following instructions. The price pails in comparison to replacing all my livestock.

Here it is:

Looked at it. Looks cool but can't find it for sale anywhere.

I have the Tunze Osmolator and love it. Its a bit pricey but the security of having 2 different sensors gives me piece of mind. Its uses the electric eye but incase of failure it has a back up.

I think I'm going to go for this model or possibly the Elos. Going to order tonight. Thanks all!

Tunze Osmolator FTW. I like the optical float sensor along with the magnetic mounts. If you don't know this you can adjust the internal potentiometer to control how fast the pump runs controlling how much it pumps.

Only complaint is that on start up it turns the pump on as part of it's power on self test (POST). But if you have the potentiometer turned all the way down as I do for my nano it only pumps about a 1/4 cup of water during the 15 seconds it runs during POST.

Tunze Osmolator FTW. I like the optical float sensor along with the magnetic mounts. If you don't know this you can adjust the internal potentiometer to control how fast the pump runs controlling how much it pumps.

Only complaint is that on start up it turns the pump on as part of it's power on self test (POST). But if you have the potentiometer turned all the way down as I do for my nano it only pumps about a 1/4 cup of water during the 15 seconds it runs during POST.

Are you talking about when you turn it off for WC's? If so, how do you turn it down?

Also, does that mean it will only pump that 1/4 cup at a time max only during POST and pump more during normal operation? Following?

Are you talking about when you turn it off for WC's? If so, how do you turn it down?

Also, does that mean it will only pump that 1/4 cup at a time max only during POST and pump more during normal operation? Following?

Yes, when I turn it off for water changes, maintenance, etc... - it runs for about 15 seconds at startup during the POST. You can avoid this by disconnecting one of the pump power cords during startup which isn't really a bother at all.

Inside the control panel, there is a potentiometer that controls how much power the pump has. By default, it is set at a medium power. I have the potentiometer set at the lowest setting possible so that it pumps very slowly. Note that I only evaporate about 2 gallons per week on my topless setup so I don't require an enormous amount of flow. So turned down at it's lowest setting it only pumps about 1/4 cup or so when it runs during POST. My water level is very stable and my salinity couldn't be more consistent. I think this is what you would also want to do in your 20L. I recommend setting it as low as possible so that in the event of an issue, the fail-safe timout would kick in before you had a serious issue on your hands.

If you have a larger tank then you would want to turn up the potentiometer and it would pump a lot more water. Even still, I think the amount of water it pumps during startup isn't really an issue and the reality is that your not unplugging it very often anyway.

If you have a larger tank, you can turn up the potentiometer and it will pump a lot more water. Or if you have a very large tank, you can purchase the optional module that allows you plug any 110v pump / powerhead into it or increased flow.

You will also want to keep in mind that any filter floss or padding that you may have on a tank with an internal overflow may affect the display water level.

Archived