Cultivated Reef

Need hardware suggestions

captain obvious

captain obvious

Long time lurker, 1st time poster here...

I've been keeping a 29BC for the past year or so with some success (or at least minimal losses :lol:).

So now I'm ready to upgrade to a 40B.

The tank will be drilled and I'm going to have a local guy who does acrylic fab put a sump together for me.

I intend on using this stand:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod...cfm?pcatid=9881

I imagine lighting will come from either rapid or StevieT.

I plan on running a 3 chamber sump and having a small fuge in it with some Chaeto.

Tank will likely have the following inhabitants:

Single Occelaris from 29

McCroskers wrasse from 29

Fangblenny from 29

Copperband butterfly

A few Cardinals

CUC

For corals I don't intend on doing anything too crazy.

Currently growing a few hammer corals, GSP, a kenya tree and a small colony of Zoa's. All I'd like to add would be an anemone and maybe some pulsing xenia so pretty basic.

I would like to build this one and be done as well as automate the lighting as much as possible so my interaction with it daily would be to feed and do water changes once a week (which I am religious about).

Where I am struggling is the rest of the hardware for the system.

Do I need a skimmer?

How about electronics to automate things - What goes with what? I'd like to get something that will allow me to constantly monitor PH, KH, salinity and temp via an online login(too cheap to buy a smartphone :) )

With LED's will I need a chiller? I plan on having a good lid on the tank so our cat doesn't end up going swimming if that makes a difference.

Anything else I'm missing?

Cost is an object but I don't mind spending $ and doing something once.

Thanks for any help/input!

If you have the space them an anemone would be beautiful. You can pair it with a clown however best of luck getting an occelaris to pair with it. I had better luch with others. Becareful that if your anemone is healthy it could grow rather large which was always my problem. Don't bother with Xenia. Once it takes hold you will regret it when it takes over your tank.

You will most certaintly want to put a skimmer in that sump. A good ATO would be nice too. Make room for a refugium in your sump and a GFO reactor.

The possibilites are endless with a controller but hopefully your wallet is too.

captain obvious

I appreciate the response Matt.

On the Occelaris, I'm not too concerned if they pair up and/or start breeding. Honestly, I wouldn't have any place to put the fry and would feel bad about not raising them so I kind of prefer they not. :)

Do you have any specific recommendations for a good ATO/GFO/skimmer?

On the controller, I don't mind spending some up front and getting a quality piece I can add onto as time passes. Are there any specific brands folks use with success that are expandable?

Thanks again!

I appreciate the response Matt.

On the Occelaris, I'm not too concerned if they pair up and/or start breeding. Honestly, I wouldn't have any place to put the fry and would feel bad about not raising them so I kind of prefer they not. :)

Do you have any specific recommendations for a good ATO/GFO/skimmer?

On the controller, I don't mind spending some up front and getting a quality piece I can add onto as time passes. Are there any specific brands folks use with success that are expandable?

Thanks again!

I wasn't referring to a pair of clown mating. I was referring to a clown paring (hosting) with an anemone. For ATO, I use and recommend Tunze. I also love my Tunze skimmer although that is probably too small for your 40. GFO would best be in a reactor. I use the BRS deluxe.

I would love a controller myself however I haven't been able justify the $$. The three main things you would be controlling is lighting, temp, & pumps.

captain obvious
I wasn't referring to a pair of clown mating. I was referring to a clown paring (hosting) with an anemone. For ATO, I use and recommend Tunze. I also love my Tunze skimmer although that is probably too small for your 40. GFO would best be in a reactor. I use the BRS deluxe.

I would love a controller myself however I haven't been able justify the $$. The three main things you would be controlling is lighting, temp, & pumps.

I apologize for the confusion...I thought you were referring to the clowns spawning...

What model Tunze skimmer and ATO would you recommend and why?

I am eyeballing this sump:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/for/3306910001.html

Think it'd work? It will fit inside my stand nicely.

Thanks again for any help!

I apologize for the confusion...I thought you were referring to the clowns spawning...

What model Tunze skimmer and ATO would you recommend and why?

I am eyeballing this sump:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/for/3306910001.html

Think it'd work? It will fit inside my stand nicely.

Thanks again for any help!

Sump looks fine, just leak test before purchase. You want to see if the sides bow out when it is filled.

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO - Probably the must reliable ATO after doing my research.

As for skimmer, you will need to get other referrals. The Tunze 9002 nano skimmer that I use and highly recommend due to how well it skims and how quiet it is would be on the small size for your 40 + 25 gallon sump. With your sump you have plently of room for a full size skimmer.

captain obvious
Sump looks fine, just leak test before purchase. You want to see if the sides bow out when it is filled.

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO - Probably the must reliable ATO after doing my research.

As for skimmer, you will need to get other referrals. The Tunze 9002 nano skimmer that I use and highly recommend due to how well it skims and how quiet it is would be on the small size for your 40 + 25 gallon sump. With your sump you have plently of room for a full size skimmer.

Appreciate all of your input Matt. I'm going to check out the sump tonight, hopefully it doesn't suck.

I pick up the ATO you recommended.

When it comes time for a skimmer I'll probably start a thread. The tank will be in our living room which is where we spend most of our time so it needs to be very quiet.

Thanks again for the guidance!

Archived