Top Shelf Aquatics

Instant Ocean Bio-Spria

ssteven1

I have cycled two saltwater aquariums using all live rock and it took 1-2 weeks to get ammonia 0, nitirite 0 , and nitrate 0. I recently accurired an 36 bowfront that came with 35 pounds of dead and dry live rock. I decided to use this dry rock to save money. The rock was prev used approx 2 years ago and still has a slight haze of green on it from old dead dry algae. I thought it should be enough to start a cycle.
I set it up and after 3 weeks ammonia was at 2 PPM. However there was no nitrite or nitrate yet. I decided to add 5 pounds of live rock from my LFS. One week later the ammonia was still 2 PPM but nitrite and nitrate was still 0. I did not expect to be done but I at least expected a slight change on nitrites by now.
I saw online about Bio-Spria back when I was about freshwater aquariums but heard that the freshwater version was discontinued. I saw that they still made the marine version but it was not refrigerated. I could find almost no info about the current marine version on-line. I was a little skeptical but decided to try it ( was getting impatient and did not want to wait multiple months for the cycle to finish).
I went to Pet Smart and they had a 8 ounce bottle. There is a sell by date on the bottom that said 9/13 so I am hoping that means it had not been on the shelf very long at all. I turned off the skimmer and no charcoal like the instructions stated. It stated to shake then empty the entire bottle and you should be able to add fish in 24 hours (NOT GOING TO DO THAT). Here I go

Base line water prams
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 2 ppm
Nitriate 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Added the Bio-Spria

After 5 hours
Ammonia 2 ppm
Nitrite maybe a slight change in color .5 ppm?
Nitrate 0 ppm

After 12 hours
Ammoina .5 ppm (good)
Nitrite 5 ppm (big change)
Nitrate did not test had to go to work

This is where I am as of today. It has done more that I honesty thought it would Whether it will completely cycle to 0,0,0 and whether it is a one time thing or the bacteria is there to stay it not known yet. I will be back home tomorrow morning to test after 36 hours. I plan to keep you updated.

After 36 hours

Ph 8.0
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite 2 ppm
Nitrate 60 ppm

After day 4

Ph 8.0

Ammonia 0ppm

NItrite 2 ppm

Nitrate 60 ppm

After day 5

Ph 8.0