SaltCritters.com

RSM 130 Microbubble Rage

Justin_Freebords

Justin_Freebords

I have read everything I can about microbubbles and the RSM130 and I am still having problems. No matter what I do I can not get the bubbles to stop. I have removed all media from the tank and run no skimmer, and I still get bubbles.

Currently I have a bag of carbon in the "chamber of death" and my water level in that chamber completely covers the return pumps. I can not for the life of me figure out where the air is coming from that is causing the bubbles. I have sat infront of the tank with a flashlight shinning into the back chamber and have yet to see a single bubble of air make it into either return pump yet i still get small burst of microbubbles ever few seconds.

It is extremely frustrating to deal with because no matter what I do I can not seem to fix the problem. It is not the skimmer (happens with or without the skimmer on), it is not the water level (water is just high enough that the hood brackets are slightly breaking the surface of the water, the return pumps are 100% submerged), I only run carbon that is about 2 weeks old and filter floss from intank that is where my overflow is.

Is there any hope to fixing this problem or am I just going to have to learn to live with this constant stream of crap coming from these POS return pumps? I already replaced the stock heater, plan to replace the stock skimmer, and apparently may need to replace the stock return pumps as well (which are brand new, I opened them up and made sure they were spot less and made sure the covers were on really tight). Whats the point of even including any of this stuff if it all needs to be replaced? I really loath 17 year old me for wanting this tank back when I was in highschool, really wish I could have just started from scratch with a custom tank...

EDIT: I have the original 130, not the 130D. I have had it collecting dust for about 4-5 years because I got it right before I went to college as a gift and was unable to set it up until I graduated this last May. The tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now, through a cycle, and now has a clownfish, cleaner shrimp, and CUC. Nothing else.

Archived