ReefCleaners.org

Share your most interesting or bizarre tank pictures

Jruberti

I'm looking to include some interesting/bizarre/amazing/funny pictures for the tank inspiration segment in Nano News E09. If you have a picture that you'd like to share, let me know it's ok for me to include your picture/username in E09. Thanks!!

Examples from Previous Episodes:

MR4yn.pngfSpVK.pngzXbku.png

I don't have a good camera and this picture is crap so it obviously can't go in the magazine thingy, but I thought I'd share it anyways. It is pretty neat.

A little back story. Since starting the tank I have seen isopods starting out at me from my live rock. I tried trapping them, but it didn't work. Now, there are two types of isopods that sometimes show up in peoples tanks. Criolanids are the devil and are fish parasites, commonly attaching into the insides of their mouths or gill covers. Sphaeromatid isopods are not parasitic, only scavengers. However, female sphaeromatids look like cirolanids.

Finally, I've decided I friggin have both of them since obviously I don't have a good camera to send pictures for a proper identification. After stressing about it for months and remaining fishless, I went on a coral buying binge and pretty much forgot about the isopods. I began working at an LFS and one day we got a shipment of fish in. I kind of fell in love with something I shouldn't have and it was being bullied, so a McCoskers Flasher Wrasse came home with me. That night I was looking at the tank after lights out and I saw the most amazing thing.

cimg0664k.jpg

cimg0666a.jpg

Some species of wrasses cocoon themselves in a silky substance at night. This is also the time that isopods come out to snack on sleeping fish, however you can clearly see the isopod stuck in the wrasse's cocoon to the right of the fish in the picture.

Here he is now, happy and parasite-free.

cimg0658b.jpg

not mine but very bizzare

That is awesome!! It's too bad they haven't been on YouTube since 2008 :( I hope I can find a way to get in contact with them.

Also not mine, courtesy of Dr. Roy Caldwell.

That is a ridiculously nice shot!! I hope he'll respond to my email.

I don't have a good camera and this picture is crap so it obviously can't go in the magazine thingy, but I thought I'd share it anyways. It is pretty neat.

A little back story. Since starting the tank I have seen isopods starting out at me from my live rock. I tried trapping them, but it didn't work. Now, there are two types of isopods that sometimes show up in peoples tanks. Criolanids are the devil and are fish parasites, commonly attaching into the insides of their mouths or gill covers. Sphaeromatid isopods are not parasitic, only scavengers. However, female sphaeromatids look like cirolanids.

Finally, I've decided I friggin have both of them since obviously I don't have a good camera to send pictures for a proper identification. After stressing about it for months and remaining fishless, I went on a coral buying binge and pretty much forgot about the isopods. I began working at an LFS and one day we got a shipment of fish in. I kind of fell in love with something I shouldn't have and it was being bullied, so a McCoskers Flasher Wrasse came home with me. That night I was looking at the tank after lights out and I saw the most amazing thing.

Some species of wrasses cocoon themselves in a silky substance at night. This is also the time that isopods come out to snack on sleeping fish, however you can clearly see the isopod stuck in the wrasse's cocoon to the right of the fish in the picture.

Here he is now, happy and parasite-free.

Great story, all isopods are creepy to me lol like this one that latches onto fish's tongues

Project%204.JPG

BTW, gratz on the beautiful and now healthy wrasse!

Also not mine, courtesy of Dr. Roy Caldwell.

wooohoo, he responded to my email super fast :) and sent me more pictures! Thank you for the source!

Not a bizarre tank pic, but was bizarre to me the first time I seen a cleaner do this!

Cleaner Shrimp (aka Surfer dude) and Purple Tilefish.

2v0xu2x.jpg

^and what are we looking at here?

GSP, some zoas that the LFS bleached out and gave away (they are regaining their color slowly but surely) and my hi fin red banded.

GSP, some zoas that the LFS bleached out and gave away (they are regaining their color slowly but surely) and my hi fin red banded.

and how does that pertain to this thread topic?

Archived