Innovative Marine Aquariums

Return To The Ocean! Aio 7.5G 12" Cube - New Pics! 05.06.2013

ChouDawg

Thelizardkin
Thanks man, give it time to grow out and I'm sure it'll be even better, I love your scape, hate mine lol

Thank you but I don't know about that your coral are so much nicer than mine

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Short and sweet update from me today, after 20 days in my tank, my Hybrid Clown pair has laid eggs. They've been scoping out/cleaning a rock in the back corner for awhile now, they might've laid them earlier and I just noticed today. Maybe someone that has bred clowns before can tell me how far along these eggs look. I'm not planning to raise them as I don't have the space or live foods they need so I'll let nature take its course. And here's a crappy cellphone picture for proof :D

eggspost.jpg
Thelizardkin

Congrats it looks like you're finally out of your fish dying phase I was wondoring any plans on upgrading this tank eventually

• 2 weeks later...

Woops not sure how I missed all these, thanks for all the comments/questions!

Another solid update. Hows the chore with maintaining the tank going? No problems?

I do 2G water changes every week, vacuum all the random "sand" looking detritus that builds up in the lower flow areas. I clean my skimmer when I notice algae/coraline starting to grow, I replace my filter floss pad when I notice my overflow chamber level starts rising (about 20 days for both). I clean the glass at least once a week before water changes and add RO/DI to my 1G top off when necessary (last about 9 days). That's about it for regular maintenance, no complaints takes me about an hour to do my weekly water change. Could be quicker if i just used a fat vinyl tube to drain the 2G but I use a small airline tubing with a section of rigid to get all the detritus i can out. Also gives me time to feed my LPS while the water is draining slower with the pumps off.

This is a sick tank! Very awesome. Well done!

I might have missed this but are you doing anything?

Assuming you meant "dosing" nope not dosing anything, just weekly water changes with Instant Ocean Salt, will be slowly moving over to Red Sea Salt soon, have the salt just waiting till I get down to my last bag of Instant Ocean.

Congrats it looks like you're finally out of your fish dying phase I was wondoring any plans on upgrading this tank eventually

Thanks, to be honest I don't think it was my tank but just poor luck with "new" fish. I got this pair off a local Reefer that had them for just under 2 years. They are both ocellaris/percula hybrids tank raised so they're very well adjusted to tank life. They readily eat NLS pellets and actually dont go wild for frozen foods. Apparently it hasn't changed their willingness to spawn. 40 breeder w/ sump is in the works and should be up by summer time :D

Reefmaster1996

They look fairly fresh I'd estimate 2-4 days, when they get the silver eye look when you shine a flashlight one them is when they will hatch.

They are young eggs, maybe 2-3. How cool of a surprise was that?

Oops I should've posted an update about the eggs, they hatched 9 days after I discovered them, I don't have the means to raise them so I just let "nature" take it's course. By the last day or so, the numbers dwindled down significantly, I have checked daily so I'd have an idea of the stages the eggs go through. The daytime before the night they hatched I saw almost no egg yolk and shiny eyes on each fry. The next morning the rock was empty and I found a few unlucky fry in my skimmer body. The clowns are back to cleaning the rock and I expect them to lay another clutch shortly, my coworker is planning to breed clowns so he's starting Rotifer/Phyto cultures and will probably be raising my next batch.

Reefmaster1996

Cool, at least your buddy can help you out so they don't go to waste. Yeah they usually hatch on day 9-10, and they get the silver eye like I said.i personally have not yet raised clownfish but I have looked into it more than enough to be able to give good advice.

/side note

I was really surprised (in a good way) at the wholesale cost of CB occy clowns. A buddy of mine said he seen some on a list for a middle of the country supplier for $6. That would put their cost around $3-4 (guessing). I remember when i was breading clowns just 4-5 years ago wholesalers would pay closer to $5-$6 and sell for $10.

I say its a good thing because that tells me the supply (breeders) are able to keep up with/exceed demand (wholesalers). Good news for wild caught occy clowns.

Obsessed Reefer

You're tank is beautiful, I can only hope my new tank will look half as good. I'm not sure if I missed this some where, but what type of filter media are you running?

/side note

I was really surprised (in a good way) at the wholesale cost of CB occy clowns. A buddy of mine said he seen some on a list for a middle of the country supplier for $6. That would put their cost around $3-4 (guessing). I remember when i was breading clowns just 4-5 years ago wholesalers would pay closer to $5-$6 and sell for $10.

I say its a good thing because that tells me the supply (breeders) are able to keep up with/exceed demand (wholesalers). Good news for wild caught occy clowns.

Ya that is great to here so we don't have to get anymore wild caught fish/corals, but unfortunately some people will still always opt for the wild caught option. And also, I fear too much supply/too low of prices will lead to more people doing it in poorer conditions, not culling properly etc. Similar to what is going on with puppy mills where the breeders are strictly in it for profit :angry: It's a shame though also that society doesn't really have the same emotional "bond" with aquatic life as they do with animals like dogs and cats. I don't foresee any animal rights activist fighting for "fish rights" which is a shame.

You're tank is beautiful, I can only hope my new tank will look half as good. I'm not sure if I missed this some where, but what type of filter media are you running?

Thanks, I'm running a filter floss pad in my overflow about 3"x2.5" piece with the skimmer in that compartment as well. And under the filter floss is a bag of purigen that I've had in there almost since the tank was started. I check it periodically when I change filter floss and it still hasn't gotten much greyer. I have a new 100mL of Purigen that I'll swap out once this one is exhausted. 100mL should treat 100g of water for up to 6 months per their info so I'm sure mine should last quite a while. I may not even have to change/recharge it till I upgrade to my 40BR. Other than those 3 things, no other "filter media" besides live rock and weekly water changes.

On a side note, picked up my 20L for my sump last nite :D It's actually much larger in person, but this is coming from someone used to seeing a 12" cube all day.

So...looked in my tank today and sure enough another bright orange batch of eggs had been laid! Apparently my pair really likes to get frisky, that's only four days after the first batch hatched! Unfortunately my coworker that was going to take the next clutch is out of town till Tuesday so we'll see if that ends up working out.

Ya, almost everyone says that live rotifers are the only way to go. I don't plan to breed/raise any fry though so I won't be starting any cultures myself.

Im not going to say its a problem, but I know on the FW side of things when breeders cull fish its only when the defect is blatantly obvious (truncated gill plate, stubby tail, etc). I imagine some of the bigger guys in breeding are producing so many fish they cant really cull them all properly.

Ya that is great to here so we don't have to get anymore wild caught fish/corals, but unfortunately some people will still always opt for the wild caught option. And also, I fear too much supply/too low of prices will lead to more people doing it in poorer conditions, not culling properly etc. Similar to what is going on with puppy mills where the breeders are strictly in it for profit :angry: It's a shame though also that society doesn't really have the same emotional "bond" with aquatic life as they do with animals like dogs and cats. I don't foresee any animal rights activist fighting for "fish rights" which is a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

great looking tank. thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

How's the tank doing?

Tank is doing well, just finished my weekly 2G WC, the clowns are on their 3rd batch of eggs now. All the corals doing well, been a bit lazy working on my upgrade setup, drilled for drains :D

nanoreefer11

Dang, AWESOME setup!

Makes me miss my old 7.5 gallon, I'll post a thread in a few days about my 12.5 gallon that I upgrade from, great corals and great pics bro!

Wow! Just realized it has been almost 3 months since I took pictures of my tank...so I broke out the tripod for you guys. Oh ya, my clowns are on their 3rd batch of eggs now and my upgrade tank is drilled and the stand has been built, plumbing next :P

"Sunset" FTS

img4030ssmall.jpg

Still UNID Acro? Turning more reddish with purple/blue tips from brown B)

img4047ssmall.jpg
Acan Ball
img4046ssmall.jpg
Gomezi Polyps Growing Towards The Light
img4039ssmall.jpg
Orange w/ Purple Polyps and Green Tips Birdsnest
img4044ssmall.jpg

Archived