inTank Media Baskets

Mexican Invert Trade / Collection

SnailPace

Hi Hobbyists!

I'm a marine biology student looking for more information on the international live invertebrate trade and aquarium sales for an academic study I'm doing. I'm especially interested in Turbo fluctuosus, commonly called "Turbo" or "True Mexican Turbo" snails (sometimes confused with Astraea snails, also in the Turbinidae family), which are algae grazers, and methods of collection or culture in Mexico. I'm wondering if anyone knows answers to any of these questions, or could point me to resources. Any help is appreciated!

- Are turbo snails available year-round or only in certain seasons?

- Who sells them to aquaria: company names or specific

collectors I could talk to? (will keep this private) - and where are they coming from, geographically speaking?

- What is the wholesale price of turbo snails (before sold to public)?

- What is the average size or range of sizes, in diameter, of the

turbos you order? Is the size important?

- Do people have to go through permitting or abide any restrictions for

international snail trading?

- What quantities do people usually buy?

Thanks for your time! If you'd prefer to email me, please do! cross@email.arizona.edu

gulfsurfer101

Hi and welcome, they are usually available at nearly every local fish store that deals in saltwater. They go for-2-3 bucks around here and can be collected locally but are usually way to big for nano tanks this time of year. You can find them by the hundreds in the spring much smaller around piers and jetti's. Your best bet would be to hit up your lfs though.

Archived