Coral Vue Hydros

Help decide on a PC Light fixture

hameen40

Which of these lights would you pick for soft coral.

30" 1X65W JBJ Formosa-SS for $110 or a 30" 2X65W Coralife aqualight for $140. I know the aqulight is more light but I like the flip-up feature alnd looks of the jbj.

Do both these lighting systems use standard bulb sizes?

matt the fiddler

what are you planning to keep in soft corals.. some need different light requirments for good coloration.. shrooms only, zoos, etc.. ? what tank size? how deep specifically... i am assuming 20 L.

go the 2x 65 65 watts of PC over 30" [and probably at least 12" deep] is probably not going to keep things inthe best of health or color- unless you have a mushroom only tank.. etc.

Well that didn't seem to difficult of a choice. I will go with the coralife aqualight.

Thanks for your feedback

Cellenzweig

I say get the 2x65w. I'm using the 2x65w 24" Coralife and I think it is great. It does get a little warm, so you may want to get the legs as well to raise the light off the water surface. The bulbs are standard PC. Dolfan is right about dusk and dawn - having 2 ballasts is a great advantage... and actinic only looks great!

Originally posted by Cellenzweig

I say get the 2x65w.  I'm using the 2x65w 24" Coralife and I think it is great.  

What size tank do you have? I am a little confused because they have a 24" and a 30". Is that the bulb size or the size of the whole fixture? Which size will work best for a 29G. It is 30" long.

Cellenzweig

I don't think there is a difference between the 24" and 30" other than fixture length. I'm pretty sure all the 65w bulbs are 21" long. I am using my 24" on a 10g. You should definately go with the 30" for your tank. The 24" doesn't fit a 30" tank, even with the legs spread out all the way. I also have a Jalli brand 2x55w PC. I like the Jalli actinics better. I think they are true actinics, but unfortunately they only come in 55w (which I believe is supported by the coralife ballasts - it is with mine)

Archived