ReefCleaners.org

Worm ID

Mike_H

This worm I have seen a few times and he is quite big. Maybe 9" when stretched out. It does not look like a bristle worm. More earth worm like.

I fed my Scolly a piece of shrimp when the lights were on which it swallowed. Once the lights went out this worm went inside the corals mouth and snatched the food out of its stomach. Cheeky bast@#d! haha. There seems to be some mucus around the coral this morning and around a worm trap i put in last night.

Im not sure what kind of worm this is and if its reef safe (I guess its a scavenger as its been in the tank a while and the corals are all ok). I think it may be responsible for the death of some trochus I put in a while ago. Their shells were found empty with a jelly goo all over them.

Photo is not very good. You can see the worm retracting from the flash of my camera around the base of the toadstool.

img20121009222332.jpg

hehe I used to use rag worms for Fishing back in the UK. Great flounder bait! Don’t think it’s a rag worm.

I think it’s an Oenonid (Oenone fulgida)

Now in the process of working out how to remove it (them?)....One article says remove the rock it lives in and flush out with carbonated water. This is going to be tricky as hell. a) i have no idea where it lives. B) my live rock is a single large piece with corals attached. :(

The worm trap I have wont work its too small and the worm retract out of it… but i might try this...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913372

damn...in this hobby there’s always something... <_<

hehe I used to use rag worms for Fishing back in the UK. Great flounder bait! Don’t think it’s a rag worm.

I think it’s an Oenonid (Oenone fulgida)

Now in the process of working out how to remove it (them?)....One article says remove the rock it lives in and flush out with carbonated water. This is going to be tricky as hell. a) i have no idea where it lives. B) my live rock is a single large piece with corals attached. :(

The worm trap I have wont work its too small and the worm retract out of it… but i might try this...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913372

Even just plain tap water might flush it out, but then you risk killing any other things like brittle stars, etc. I do find that 'work trap' fascinating!

damn...in this hobby there’s always something... <_<

You nailed that right, Mike!

Archived