Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Good P&S that can take pics under blue LEDs?

kveekx

I'm sure this has already been answered but I couldn't find anything so I figured I would ask. I am looking for a good Point and Shoot camera that can capture accurate colors under RB and blue LEDs. I would prefer that it costs under $200. Also before I go buy another few hundred dollar camera is there any possible way to get them with a iPhone with the help of a application? I'm pretty good with cameras but nowhere near a expert. Thanks for input!

• 2 weeks later...

What they said. ^

Most cameras seem to have a lot of trouble shooting under LED lights, I don't know the details of why this happens but they mostly turn out blue. Having a camera with the ability to shoot in RAW files will allow you to make necessary color corrections in post-processing that will bring the image closer to true colors.

• 2 months later...
xerophyte_nyc

If your camera allows you to set the "white balance" then you can shoot reasonable photos even under blue LED. You simply have the camera's sensor analyze a white surface like a piece of paper while illuminated by a light source and it will then set a new white balance.

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks

Setting a custom white balance is essential for the camera to get the shot right the first time in camera.

With RAW files, the white balance can be modified in post processing without any loss of image quality, and can be far more convenient than trying to set a custom white balance in camera. It's possible to correct the white balance in JPG photos if your camera does not shoot RAW, but you cannot push the image as far is any colors get blown out, like sections overly saturated with blue, in the case of LEDs.

• 4 weeks later...

Setting a custom white balance is essential for the camera to get the shot right the first time in camera.

With RAW files, the white balance can be modified in post processing without any loss of image quality, and can be far more convenient than trying to set a custom white balance in camera. It's possible to correct the white balance in JPG photos if your camera does not shoot RAW, but you cannot push the image as far is any colors get blown out, like sections overly saturated with blue, in the case of LEDs.

What camera & raw software do you use? In my case, it's more than setting up the right WB and exposure. I still have issues recreating the colors under LEDs especialy under the blue channel even when the RGB histogram is perfect. Something gets lost in translation. I tried Nikon D40, D3100 & D5100 with Capture NX2. I'm wondering how a Foveon, Fuji, or any other Bayer sensor without an AA filter will do.

I'm sure this has already been answered but I couldn't find anything so I figured I would ask. I am looking for a good Point and Shoot camera that can capture accurate colors under RB and blue LEDs. I would prefer that it costs under $200. Also before I go buy another few hundred dollar camera is there any possible way to get them with a iPhone with the help of a application? I'm pretty good with cameras but nowhere near a expert. Thanks for input!

For the same amount of money you could buy an used DSLR& kit lens which might perform much better and give you more flexibility.

Christopher Marks

What camera & raw software do you use? In my case, it's more than setting up the right WB and exposure. I still have issues recreating the colors under LEDs especialy under the blue channel even when the RGB histogram is perfect. Something gets lost in translation. I tried Nikon D40, D3100 & D5100 with Capture NX2. I'm wondering how a Foveon, Fuji, or any other Bayer sensor without an AA filter will do.

I use Adobe Lightroom for all of my RAW processing and for organizing my photo library. I shoot with a Fujifilm X100, X-E1, and sometimes a Canon 5D Mark 3, but I'm not shooting under LED lighting.

What do you feel gets lost in the images you shoot? You may need to go deeper than just white balance post processing to recreate what you see in person. Color balance (hue, saturation, luminance) varies a great deal between cameras and camera manufacturers. Canon's colors tend to be colder than Nikon's, for example. I'm a big fan of Fujifilm's colors on their X Series cameras, but it's not necessarily 100% true to life either. Lightoom does make it easy to adjust the color balance, or really any aspect of an image's tone and color, even better if you're working with a RAW file. If you find settings that work well with your subject, you can easily save those settings as a preset, or copy and paste the settings onto new images.

I use Adobe Lightroom for all of my RAW processing and for organizing my photo library. I shoot with a Fujifilm X100, X-E1, and sometimes a Canon 5D Mark 3, but I'm not shooting under LED lighting.

What do you feel gets lost in the images you shoot?...

Awesome cameras, especially the Fujifilm's. I believe somethign is missing bcz the corals look worst in the photos no matter how much effort I put in developing the raw. I don't miss LR much, but I'll give it a try one more time.

The RGB filters used on digital cameras have sensitivity to spectral humps in the red, green and blue regions. For most cameras the peak wavelength for the blue filter is around 455nm. Since most royal LEDs are 448-452 nm, this light is beyond the accuracy range of the camera and just records as one color because it's basically guessing. This is why deep royal blue and actinic tends not to record properly, and/or just blows out.

The RGB filters used on digital cameras have sensitivity to spectral humps in the red, green and blue regions. For most cameras the peak wavelength for the blue filter is around 455nm. Since most royal LEDs are 448-452 nm, this light is beyond the accuracy range of the camera and just records as one color because it's basically guessing. This is why deep royal blue and actinic tends not to record properly, and/or just blows out.

Cool. I found few interesting articles, the 3rd one might answer the post's question:

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/photo-ir-uv.htm

http://www.lifepixel.com/uv-ir-forensics

http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-faq#Whichdigitalcamerasdoyoumodifytoinfrared

What is it about LEDs in general with photos? My house had regular light bulbs and pictures came out fine on my phone and such, but ever since we switched the the led lights, all the pictures come out grainy. Don't want to hijack at all, I just don't see why one light source is different than another.

Edit: obviously I don't have full spectrum and royal blues in my living room. :)

Archived