Pod Your Reef

29 gallon lighting ideas

guzzler

HI, im new here and i am starting a 29 gallon reef, I plan on using around 20 lbs. of pink fuji substrate and 33 lbs of deep show size tonga LR. My question is does that seem about good for a tank with dimensions of 12D X 16T X 30L ??, and also what lighting would be suitable if i plan on keeping everything i can aside from anemones, i dont want to have any limitations for what i can keep because of lighting issues. I was thinking about a 250w ballast, but they are like $350, and thats alot, but if its what i need then i guess ill take it. Also with a ballast like this would i need a chiller or a sump to keep water temperature lower??

Also would i need a protein skimmer?

Also what size grade of gravel would be good if i planned on using an undergravel filter?

thanks

UGF? Don't use one.

Go here and retro your hood for Cheap. get a 20k bulb and don't woory about actinics. If you don't have a hood, I suggest building one with fans. It will look funky hung pendant style. If you add fans in your canopy and leave the back open you should have no heat issues an no need for a Sump.

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?c...products_id=100

NEED a skimmer? no. Recommend, very much so. Go with a remora hang on and you will not be disappointed.

Keep in mind you need flow and good water quality to keep "everything". I would recommend a good two part additive for CA/ALK levels.

Archived