ReefCleaners.org

Just bought starfish for 34gal RSM

rahorman

So I bought a starfish at LFS yesterday (prob around 4 in from one tip to the other), and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake and 34 gal is too small..

The guy at LFS told me it's fine, and I dont see any tank minimums on live Aquaria.. He has been roaming the glass mostly and did roam over some feather duster coral .. I do have A good 35, 40 lbs of rock, but not that much sand bed space for him to roam... Should I clear some sand space, andante there any other tips you guys can give me?

So I bought a starfish at LFS yesterday (prob around 4 in from one tip to the other), and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake and 34 gal is too small..

The guy at LFS told me it's fine, and I dont see any tank minimums on live Aquaria.. He has been roaming the glass mostly and did roam over some feather duster coral .. I do have A good 35, 40 lbs of rock, but not that much sand bed space for him to roam... Should I clear some sand space, andante there any other tips you guys can give me?

What kind of star fish? Is he reef safe?

Dmarmontello

Unless the answer is a serpent star or brittle starfish, it is likely a mistake. Most of the starfish that climb on the glass and look awesome, don't make it in our tanks.

What kind of star fish? Is he reef safe?

Those are the BIG questions. To the OP. Research before you buy. Never take the word of someone in the LFS. Not saying all LFS people don't know their stuff. But it's best to go there armed with some knowledge.

Dmarmontello
Looks like a ' sand sifting sea star ' that you see on live aquaria.

It may live for a little while, but it will eventually starve to death. They get very large and eat micro-organisms from the sand. They aren't scavengers, so unless you have a large tank with a lot of sand, it likely won't live.

Dmarmontello

Yeah probably a good idea. We all have made livestock purchase mistakes, so don't feel bad if you get bashed for it on here. Just try your best to never buy on impulse. Do the research ahead of time and it will save you money and frustration!

Ahh ok , most likely bringing it back to LFS then

Archived