Pod Your Reef

Another Mantis In the Family

Islandoftiki

Today he moved into the PVC pipe home I built for him. It seems to be to his satisfaction. He's still pretty shy, so to help get some pictures and video, I enlisted the help of my camera with a massive telephoto and took this picture and video from about 8 feet away.

IMG_00331.jpg

Sorry the quality isn't better, but until he gets a little more comfortable being around humans, this is the best I can do.

He does look a little uneasy still but moves in and out of this PVC tube, a little bit more each time it seems.

Guess he is still exploring what is outside of this "fortress" :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another good video of Chuck Norris the G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp!

I'm super excited tonight because in a couple hours, our friends from San Francisco will be arriving with Micro-Reef's original 25 gallon display tank that will become one of the most awesome mantis shrimp habitats in the world! I'll be starting the build of that tank early next month! Stay tuned!

Very nice! Look forward to seeing the 25G build. That is going to be a sweet tank. What route are you going to go for stocking since light isn't a concern?

Here it is folks! It arrived safe and sound late last night all the way from San Francisco thanks to some good friends who came to visit us on a road trip.

3CDCC1DF-orig.jpg

79C780E5-orig.jpg

It's a beauty! As I mentioned before, this is the old Micro-Reefs 25 gallon display tank. Mike was more than generous with the price. It's in excellent condition. I also scored the chiller and skimmer for the tank.

I'll start a new thread with the tank build in about a week and a half when I start the project! It's going to be epic!

My 10 gallon is a Micro-Reefs tank and I love it. I was stoked to get Mike's old tank. He took really good care of it. Most used acrylic tanks need some serious buffing, but this will only take some light polishing to make it look like brand new again. It's going to be prefect for the new mantis.

Cool thing about the stand is the top and bottom pieces of acrylic are clear... and I'm going to backlight them, so the edges will glow at night. It's gonna look like a TRON arcade game! :)

That would be AWESOME!!!

And I totally love your new little mantis. G. Ternatensis is my favorite species personally, aside from the peacock obviously. I've always wanted one.

That would be AWESOME!!!

And I totally love your new little mantis. G. Ternatensis is my favorite species personally, aside from the peacock obviously. I've always wanted one.

Cleveland, OH huh? You are right near me! Live in Elyria work in Westlake. Peacock is in Westlake :)

Really? Haha my co-worker has peacock too, so you're not the only one. I'd have one too if my mom was more supportive of my hobby and actually liked having tanks in the house. Any chance I'll see you at the November C-SEA meeting?

Here it is folks! It arrived safe and sound late last night all the way from San Francisco thanks to some good friends who came to visit us on a road trip.

It's a beauty! As I mentioned before, this is the old Micro-Reefs 25 gallon display tank. Mike was more than generous with the price. It's in excellent condition. I also scored the chiller and skimmer for the tank.

I'll start a new thread with the tank build in about a week and a half when I start the project! It's going to be epic!

Awesome islandoftiki ... that is great ... wow what a find ! good luck with it and I'll be following your build for sure

• 2 weeks later...

Archived