Coral Vue Hydros

2.5g Zoa garden

Jodah

So, recently got a 36g bowfront w/ basically everything for dirt cheap. Problem is it's a gimped setup at the moment. Need a ballast for the pc lights, really need better looking rock because it's ugly as all heck right now. So, to satisfy my want of zoa's, I planned on setting up a 2.5g as a mini zoa garden.

Planned Equipment:

DIY Led's from Rapidled. Figuring either a 50/50 mix of rb and cw, or 4 rb and 2 cw, dimmable nano driver, black heatsink (you know, something nice looking)

AC20 or AC30 hob filter

Jager 50w heater

JBJ ATO

Dry pukani from BRS, as well as dry aragonite sand. I'll seed it with a small amount of sand from my main tank.

How much dry rock would I really need? I figured on ordering 5lbs worth to make it easier to pick what goes in the tank and what can be turned into rubble.

Are my LED plans ok, or is there a better solution? Lenses? No lenses?

Would the AC20 provide enough flow or should I go with the larger AC30?

I feel like I'm forgetting something. Thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated!

So, recently got a 36g bowfront w/ basically everything for dirt cheap. Problem is it's a gimped setup at the moment. Need a ballast for the pc lights, really need better looking rock because it's ugly as all heck right now. So, to satisfy my want of zoa's, I planned on setting up a 2.5g as a mini zoa garden.

Planned Equipment:

DIY Led's from Rapidled. Figuring either a 50/50 mix of rb and cw, or 4 rb and 2 cw, dimmable nano driver, black heatsink (you know, something nice looking)

AC20 or AC30 hob filter

Jager 50w heater

JBJ ATO

Dry pukani from BRS, as well as dry aragonite sand. I'll seed it with a small amount of sand from my main tank.

How much dry rock would I really need? I figured on ordering 5lbs worth to make it easier to pick what goes in the tank and what can be turned into rubble.

Are my LED plans ok, or is there a better solution? Lenses? No lenses?

Would the AC20 provide enough flow or should I go with the larger AC30?

I feel like I'm forgetting something. Thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated!

im not a fan of the giant heater youre planning. get a 25w that'll be plenty. 50w will cook your livestock and it'll be a giant obnoxious thing in the display. id go with the ac30 personally and dial it down if theres too much flow but you'll have more room for more media. and i would recommend getting a teeny tiny powerhead to get multi directional flow going on.

I've always used Eheim jager heaters, unfortunately they don't make a 25w. So, what other good, reliable brands are there? Wish I could find the Small Finnex Titanium heaters as an alternative.

I was also brainstorming this morning and thought it might not be a bad idea to get an ac70 and just toss the ac20 or ac30 impeller in it. Use it as a fuge as I've seen many people do.

As for a teeny tiny powerhead I was thinking something like the Rio 50 or the hydor pico.

Check out the hydor theo. I have owned them in the past and found them to be very reliable. I specifically used one when I needed a relatively short heater.

check out the new cobalt aquatics heater. supposed to be super thin and highly anticipated. i believe marine depot has them

cobalt aquatics heater

heres a link, pricey but nice. i remember seeing some reviews on it but cant remember where....

Excellent link, thank you. I've decided that a 2.5g will be too much of a pita for right now. So, I'll take my spare 5.5g and do a zoa garden with that instead. More room for my bear sized paws to work with.

Archived