inTank Media Baskets

Poll: How much (volume/frequency) do you feed your fish?

Mr. Microscope

Feeding nano reef fish  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How much food? (measured in pellet or mysis)

• 1 pellet/1 mysis
    • 2-5 pellets/mysis
    • 5-10
    • 10+
  2. 2. How often?

• Multiple X's/day
    • 1/day
    • Every other day
    • 3ish x's/week
    • 1/week or less

I had been out of the hobby for five years. Reading the entirety of kgoldy's thread was the first thing I did upon coming back to N-R. It's worth it. Even though it nearly killed me.

Glad you survived. ;)

Yeah, his DIY HOB Fuge is incredible!

Thank you, kind sir!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Thanks to everyone who has voted and/or contributed to this thread! All of the discussion has certainly opened my eyes to new ways of thinking about feeding our reef pets, and I hope it has helped everyone in the N-R community as well.

As a scientist, I'm all about the data. So, please cast your vote in the poll if you haven't done so already. The more the better. I'll see if I can come up with some ways of interpreting it for everyone in some nicely packaged, bite-sized bits in time for Halloween.

• 1 year later...

got two 1 inch long clarkii's, and two 1 inch blue damsels…… in a 77 liter display with 25 liter sump…...

every morning with a tweezer two pinch of flake food, that's it…. i don't dump it…. i dip the flakes in the water and the 4 fishes gobbles close to the tweezers…. nothing gets wasted and the flake food is dry enough not to soil the water ….

the 2 shrimps get 4 spirullina pellets every other day….. since there in not much food wasted during feeding...

two times a week i feed liquid coral food into the water column….

sometimes during the weekend when i party i may not be able to feed them (not often)…. but there's a good population of copepods in my tank…..

i use npx biopellets, a protein skimmer, purigen and active carbon and a filter sock…. and i have a big red macro algae at the sump...

the only time i had algae issues was when i didn't do a water change for 6 months…… and didn't change and replace the filters….

but currently no algae issues...

Archived