Cultivated Reef

DIY $50 LED

Wizzy

EDIT-

Now, what about DIY?

Can I create an led system for a small tank (probably the 2 gallon Fluval Spec) for around $50?

Please make sure to include the price of a fixture and any tools involved such as a soldering iron (meaning the way it mounts on the tank).

OLD-

Is there a Premade LED Lighting system that can light a nano/pico tank for well under $100?

It should have some sort of Legs/Fixture for attaching to the tank.

I'll probably end up buying the BoostLED Par30 for around $100, but what other options are there?

P.S. Please specify if the light can only support "x" corals. I am mainly interested in Soft/LPS, but I'd like to know.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Typically you're looking only at PAR30 in that price range. You can find some PAR38, but unless you can customize the LEDs that go into it, rarely will you find one that is actually worth getting.

Typically you're looking only at PAR30 in that price range. You can find some PAR38, but unless you can customize the LEDs that go into it, rarely will you find one that is actually worth getting.

Unfortunately, I don't expect anyone to actually know of a sub $100 LED system per the description I provided, but I've been researching for such a long time I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the input Jedi, you've been a great help in my LED journey.

Can I ask your opinion of what you would do for a pico/nano- say sub 5 gallons (keeping in mind I want it to be relatively inexpensive and don't need to support high light corals)?

What's your opinion on GU10?

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

jedimasterben
Unfortunately, I don't expect anyone to actually know of a sub $100 LED system per the description I provided, but I've been researching for such a long time I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the input Jedi, you've been a great help in my LED journey.

Can I ask your opinion of what you would do for a pico/nano- say sub 5 gallons (keeping in mind I want it to be relatively inexpensive and don't need to support high light corals)?

What's your opinion on GU10?

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

GU10 are cheap and get the job done, but are far from optimal - you need more power because of their overall inefficiency. I can get more output from a dozen LEDs than I could from twice as many GU10, not to mention the garbage phosphors used make for a pretty terrible light by itself.

Anything sub 10g I would suggest DIY or a PAR38, but either one can typically cost up to $150 depending on what you want to get out of it.

GU10 are cheap and get the job done, but are far from optimal - you need more power because of their overall inefficiency. I can get more output from a dozen LEDs than I could from twice as many GU10, not to mention the garbage phosphors used make for a pretty terrible light by itself.

Anything sub 10g I would suggest DIY or a PAR38, but either one can typically cost up to $150 depending on what you want to get out of it.

Thanks for your opinion Jedi :happy:

I got my par30 from coral compulsion for 95 shipped to my house using the discount LEDCOMBO. The bulb itself was 59 dollars and the fixture was around 40. You can use any e27 socket but the fixture gives it a way better look, and it's really sturdy. The light gives off a nice blue and is close to 20k, they state around 18k

heres the link to the bulb http://coralcompulsion.com/led-21w-18k

They state it covers a 12x12 area per bulb so you should be fine with a 5 gal pico, you'll have more light than you know what do with. These pictures are on my 8g biocube

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

My Acan is happier now than it was under my 70 Watt 20k MH, it's also way more blue than my 20k MH

Anymore questions just ask.

Unfortunately, I don't expect anyone to actually know of a sub $100 LED system per the description I provided,

I know of two places that fit the bill excatly!

Pre-Made Full Spectrum Nano/Pico lighting for under $100.00

I got my par30 from coral compulsion for 95 shipped to my house using the discount LEDCOMBO. The bulb itself was 59 dollars and the fixture was around 40. You can use any e27 socket but the fixture gives it a way better look, and it's really sturdy. The light gives off a nice blue and is close to 20k, they state around 18k

heres the link to the bulb http://coralcompulsion.com/led-21w-18k

They state it covers a 12x12 area per bulb so you should be fine with a 5 gal pico, you'll have more light than you know what do with. These pictures are on my 8g biocube

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

My Acan is happier now than it was under my 70 Watt 20k MH, it's also way more blue than my 20k MH

Anymore questions just ask.

Thanks, but I will probably purchase from BoostLED since they have the option to get a whiter look.

I've always enjoyed a 10k look opposed to bluer light.

Thank you though.

I know of two places that fit the bill excatly!

Pre-Made Full Spectrum Nano/Pico lighting for under $100.00

I got your PM, however, unless I'm mistaken the price doesn't include a fixture to attach it to the tank?

Clarinet_Reefer

You could go for one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12X1W-4pcs-Cold-Wh...=item19d5c61dd4

It would probably be decent for Softies, since it's only running 1 watt LEDs plus 120 degree lenses. Though since it's 2:1 RB to CW you would have a bluer color. I inquired about what brand of LED they use and they use Epistar chip so quality is good. I personally already have a BoostLED par bulb and it's awesome. However I've seen nothing but rave reviews of LEDTRIC's bulbs. I'd say you have plenty of options and any way you choose will lead to success.

jedimasterben
You could go for one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12X1W-4pcs-Cold-Wh...=item19d5c61dd4

It would probably be decent for Softies, since it's only running 1 watt LEDs plus 120 degree lenses. Though since it's 2:1 RB to CW you would have a bluer color. I inquired about what brand of LED they use and they use Epistar chip so quality is good. I personally already have a BoostLED par bulb and it's awesome. However I've seen nothing but rave reviews of LEDTRIC's bulbs. I'd say you have plenty of options and any way you choose will lead to success.

Cool white LEDs should never be used over any tank, and 20000k cool white LEDs should never even be manufactured. You'll have so much color loss from one of those it's not even funny.

I have an 8G (12"x12") and I am using this

There is a smaller version that is only 3 watts but I would say go for the 8 watt.

The corals that I received from my LFS which were under T5 lighting actually had more extension with my lighting then when I saw the corals at my LFS. I have a crocea clam which sits on the sand bed fully opened and has shown signs of growth since the time of purchase, along with GSP frag and two frags of zoas which have excellent extension throughout the day.

jedimasterben

I like how that light is labeled as 'high output'.

Frankly, the crocea clam is going to die in a month or so (about how long it takes for them to use their energy reserves), and higher polyp extension doesn't mean corals 'like' the light better, they can also do it because they are stretching to get as much light as possible, which is most likely the case.

I have an 8G (12"x12") and I am using this

There is a smaller version that is only 3 watts but I would say go for the 8 watt.

The corals that I received from my LFS which were under T5 lighting actually had more extension with my lighting then when I saw the corals at my LFS. I have a crocea clam which sits on the sand bed fully opened and has shown signs of growth since the time of purchase, along with GSP frag and two frags of zoas which have excellent extension throughout the day.

This is not nearly enough light for his 5 gallon, let alone an 8 gallon. Only 8 watts? That's equivalent to having a total of 3 Cree LEDs over your tank.

jedimasterben
This is not nearly enough light for his 5 gallon, let alone an 8 gallon. Only 8 watts? That's equivalent to having a total of 3 Cree LEDs over your tank.

Not even - a single Cree chip would have almost enough output to match it, and two Cree chips would be much higher than it could produce.

I like how that light is labeled as 'high output'.

Frankly, the crocea clam is going to die in a month or so (about how long it takes for them to use their energy reserves), and higher polyp extension doesn't mean corals 'like' the light better, they can also do it because they are stretching to get as much light as possible, which is most likely the case.

Well damn, I was skeptical on how good that light was for the price. Would buying a second one be advisable or just getting a different fixture be better?

jedimasterben
Well damn, I was skeptical on how good that light was for the price. Would buying a second one be advisable or just getting a different fixture be better?

Different fixture altogether. I'd imagine it would take three of those to adequately light your tank, but maybe not still support the clam. I'd grab a full-spec LEDtric bulb, you should get plenty of PAR for the clam.

Different fixture altogether. I'd imagine it would take three of those to adequately light your tank, but maybe not still support the clam. I'd grab a full-spec LEDtric bulb, you should get plenty of PAR for the clam.

What about this bulb? http://www.rapidled.com/12-led-par38-bulb-...-color-with-uv/

Man I feel bad now, sitting here thinking my corals were doing good but they were just light deprived. I ordered the Ledtric full spec hopefully I wont kill anything in the mean time.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I find all this kind of stuff interesting, so even though the LEDs aren't going to cut it, I enjoyed learning about them.

My current LED setup is a LEDtric Full Spectrum Lamp on my 12 Gallon Nanocube.

I'll probably just have to go with Par30 from BoostLED w/fixture unless I get in the mood to DIY a GU10 build or DIY LED something (though depending on what I do that could be more expensive than the BoostLED lol).

If anyone has any more input please keep the replies coming :D

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I find all this kind of stuff interesting, so even though the LEDs aren't going to cut it, I enjoyed learning about them.

My current LED setup is a LEDtric Full Spectrum Lamp on my 12 Gallon Nanocube.

I'll probably just have to go with Par30 from BoostLED w/fixture unless I get in the mood to DIY a GU10 build or DIY LED something (though depending on what I do that could be more expensive than the BoostLED lol).

If anyone has any more input please keep the replies coming :D

Would this work for you?

Would this work for you?

:lol: high output

I've actually been looking at those (and the other finnex leds) as either fuge lights or possibly ricordea/other soft corals.

Thoughts everyone?

jedimasterben
I've actually been looking at those (and the other finnex leds) as either fuge lights or possibly ricordea/other soft corals.

Thoughts everyone?

I wouldn't use them if someone gave them to me for free. Watt for watt, a CFL bulb paired with an aluminum reflector would more than likely outperform it.

EDIT: while also being significantly cheaper.

Hey OP! What are the dimensions of your tank? I hope these PAR numbers come handy for you for the RAY IIs:

RAYII48DB_zpsbff1c53e.jpg

RAYII36DB_zpsd8c8d333.jpg

RAYII24DB_zps6d98f606.jpg

If you are anywhere near San Diego, I know Aquatic Warehouse carries a full line of ours. They also are on their displays so you may see them in person. Best of luck in your search!

I wouldn't use them if someone gave them to me for free. Watt for watt, a CFL bulb paired with an aluminum reflector would more than likely outperform it.

EDIT: while also being significantly cheaper.

I would beg to differ ;)

Archived