Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

keeping a peacock with coral

mattidallama

mattidallama

I am in the process of building a 75 gallon tank revolving around a peacock mantis as well as having all my coral from my biocube 29 and all my macros from my seahorse tank in it as well. But the more I read the move I see that people keep saying that peacock get shell rot really easy and one of the major likely reason that they get it is that it might be do to high lights like something you need to grow coral and macros.

So does anyone have a peacock in a coral tank and if they do how long have they had it and how long.

I don't want to purchase an awesome creature like a mantis and basically torture it and kill if if lights will cause it to get shell rot and die.

Thanks in advanced for any knowledge brought to the thread

TeflonTomDosh
I am in the process of building a 75 gallon tank revolving around a peacock mantis as well as having all my coral from my biocube 29 and all my macros from my seahorse tank in it as well. But the more I read the move I see that people keep saying that peacock get shell rot really easy and one of the major likely reason that they get it is that it might be do to high lights like something you need to grow coral and macros.

So does anyone have a peacock in a coral tank and if they do how long have they had it and how long.

I don't want to purchase an awesome creature like a mantis and basically torture it and kill if if lights will cause it to get shell rot and die.

Thanks in advanced for any knowledge brought to the thread

They do not like lots of light. So unless you're keeping NPS and other "low light" corals, I'd suggest AGAINST it.

mattidallama

Ya that's what I was reading and in my biocube I have hammer corals zoas torches and a Duncan as well a wide array of macro. The only reason I asked cause all my reading states that they don't know what causes shell rot but it might be in part to lighting. Stating that they have no real concrete proof that it is a fact not just a coincidence.

mattidallama

Ya but all mantis have a tendency to hide until you walk by or are going to feed them just don't want them to suffer because of the conditions I'm keeping my tank in

Islandoftiki

I'm picking up my Peacock this weekend from a local reefer's sump. The more I read, the more people suggest no lighting, or perhaps if you want lighting, only turning it on to view the mantis and turn it off when you're done. I'm going with the latter option. I'm going to try doing some low powered LEDS that will be specifically chosen to bring out the colors in the peacock's shell. It will only be ambient room light the rest of the time. I was thinking about one of those LED under counter lighting systems that you can select the color of the light and the intensity.

I'm also going to try keeping some green/red majanos in with the mantis. They seem to handle low light pretty well... and they don't seem to take over the tank... or at least I haven't been able to get them to.

mattidallama

Ya I would not mind doing that if I didn't plan on breaking down two tanks to fund and stalk the 75 gallon. And the fact the wife would complain about it not looking pretty being with lights off all the time.

xDetroitMetalx

I believe that depends on species and location.

If it has tons of hiding spots I couldn't see how it would suffer. If it has no hiding spots and you have a light set up for SPS then I would bet on it's demise. If you're keeping only low light corals in the first place I would assume it would be fine. Just make sure the rocks where you mount to coral are large enough for the mantis so he doesn't move or burry them.

On that note, why not keep him in the 29 BC and use the new tank as a full reef set up? That would make more sense to me.

mattidallama

Wife only let me have the 75 if I promised to sell the 29 so we don't have a tank in every room. She is not as big into tanks and sea animals like I am. But if I can't sell the tank but can sell the lights in might think about it.

mattidallama

Also I don't think light directly causes shell rot but it has to do with micro bacterial grown from light or fungal growth. There is no concrete expiration but all studies show a correlation between high light and shell rot

xDetroitMetalx

No I agree, I'm just saying if it has a place to hide from the light during the day it should be fine. I'm just afraid that you will get bored with the peacock in such a large tank though. There is so much cool stuff you could put into a 75. But the mantis would remove many of those cool things. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but he is in a small space by himself. The 29 biocube would be a perfect size for the peacock though! You should work on your wife and do some convincing! Brown chicken brown cow!

mattidallama

Exactly have already dedicated 2 setups to mantis shrimp so far my 29 had a mantis with fish and coral but he was a smaller mantis, not a peacock who are extremely seseptible to rot. And now same mantis is in my fluval edge with a clown goby and a bunch of macros. But I decided that with the coral I want to keep it will just not get a peacock and keep my mantis in my small tank

Archived