inTank Media Baskets

Why cant I keep "deep water zoas"?

ZephNYC

I have no problem keeping all the more common zoanthids and palys, or most anything..sps...lps...clams...but every time I purchase so called "deep water " zoas, such as blue hornets, panamanian blue...etc, they melt away fast. Am I giving them too much light? Is there something I should know ???

The last time I purtchased a small colony of panamanian blues from Live aquaria I placed them in moderate light and they opened nicely for 2 days, then closed up. I moved them to a darker location and they simply melted away.

I can't say specifically on the Zoas but any thing that is deep water can be difficult to keep. My best guess would be to much light. Any time to drastically change the habitat of a living organism your asking for difficultly.

I can't say specifically on the Zoas but any thing that is deep water can be difficult to keep. My best guess would be to much light. Any time to drastically change the habitat of a living organism your asking for difficultly.

that is my line of thought as well. It would be nice to hear from people having success with them. They are expensive too!!! ARG!

I keep my hornets and rastas in the shade of my LEDs. Any that I've allowed to get direct light melt away.

I'll try them one more time, and put them in complete shade. THanks K.

Bongo Shrimp

...you guys know that "deepwater" zoas are not actually from deepwater right? People just say that to charge more. Just like "Japanese" zoas.

Never hurts to put em in the shade to start out with. If you see the stalks get longer then they need more light. If the colors dull, they need a "little" bit more light.

Tell me about it, I love campfire zoa, and every time they would flourish for a month or two (double or even triple in numbers) Close up for a while then melt away.

I wish i had an answer for you, but I feel your pain.

I keep my hornets and rastas in the shade of my LEDs. Any that I've allowed to get direct light melt away.

Have any good pics? Maybe they like dirty water Mr. no water changer. B)

Hope I dont have this problem since im picking up some hornets soon.. Only zoa ive ever lost is blue orgasms. They were closed for about a month and then fell off one at a time. I dont think the melted though. Maby got zoa pox.. My RPEs closed up but after a furan dip they have been going strong.

Hope I dont have this problem since im picking up some hornets soon.. Only zoa ive ever lost is blue orgasms. They were closed for about a month and then fell off one at a time. I dont think the melted though. Maby got zoa pox.. My RPEs closed up but after a furan dip they have been going strong.

keep us informed how they do under your lighting. Good luck, thanks.

...you guys know that "deepwater" zoas are not actually from deepwater right? People just say that to charge more. Just like "Japanese" zoas.

+1 This!

Hence why I keep mine out of the shade or just partially shaded. That rumor went around for a while and people lost lot of hormets. Using the concept that Bongo said, I put mine in the light and haven't lost any zoa deepwater or not.

I've had my blue hornets fairly about 12 inches from my LEDs without problem.

B74B92D3-1C03-4A1D-B387-1E62D21DFA1A-1719-000000D27AC8626C.jpg

They are at the bottom of my Biocube 29 and doing great under 3 Ecoxotic panorama pros.

Back Row: Sunny D Zoas, Blonde Blue Eyed ####### Zoas, Red Hornet Zoas

Front Row: Purple Hornet Zoas, Captain America Palys, Paradise Zoas

lagunastudio

interesting, I bought a single polyp of purple hornets about 5 months ago and there is still a single polyp. maybe too much light? I keep multiple zoas and have never had any melt away. it takes FOREVER for a single polyp to grow out.

Have any good pics? Maybe they like dirty water Mr. no water changer. B)

Ask Kat, she probably has pages memorized where my pics are. She keeps trying to steal my ####.

You're on Manhattan Reefs, right? There's a dude mandu who traded me a bunch of Rastas for some of my stuff. He's an LED user- and has lots of the high end zoas. He gave me like 4 plugs of rastas all at once like they were nothin'- so he must have a really big colony. I'd hit him up and ask for advice.

interesting, I bought a single polyp of purple hornets about 5 months ago and there is still a single polyp. maybe too much light? I keep multiple zoas and have never had any melt away. it takes FOREVER for a single polyp to grow out.

My purples grow slow, but my reds are fast growers : shrugs:

Archived