Coral Vue Hydros

BC14 vs BC29

mo151

Title and description say it all. I live in the dorms but next year i'm moving into a house and plan on doing an upgrade. Stocking will consist of

- Snowflake occy pair

-YWG/ pistol pair

- Blood shrimp

If i go with the BC14 stocking will remain the same. But if i go with the BC29 i'd add one or two more. Upgrades to the tank will be lighting with panorama pro's 2 for BC14 and 3 for BC29. Pumps will be replaced as well for flow. Looking to have a little of everything coral wise

Pro's and Con's of both?

Thanks. As far as stocking would a cherub angel fit in there as my only other addition ? I don't want to be to heavily stocked. I want to avoid having to skim

The bigger the body of water typical the better off you will be. The only down side is you will spend a bit more money to do this. I have seen some beautiful BC29 tanks. so go for it if you can afford it.

I plan on trying to pick one up locally and i've seen them go for around 250-400 with the stand recently. I'll order rock from BRS and seed it with rock from my 7.5 . As far as WC does anyone have experience with how often and how much?

As far as WC does anyone have experience with how often and how much?

It will depend on your bio-load, and what you have in there, and if you have a refuge. Almost everyone who runs a healthy nano-reef will tell you to WC around 15% once a week. You may need to do more depending on your load, or even a little less. Some people even do 20-25% every two weeks with success as well. I would just start with around 15% a week and keep monitoring your water params- then go from there.

but never regret going bigger :)

Your wallet might! :lol:

Obviously start up costs determine where your limits are. But if you are capable of setting up a 29 with all the right things then its a no brainier. Increased room and more stable parameters are two huge advantages.

As far as lighting with Panoramas I think with a 29 gallon you'd be better off with 4 if you want SPS. I have 2 on my 14 and am probably going to end up with a third soon.

If cost is the deciding factor, I'd rather go with a used 29G than a new 14G.

I'm not sure where you live ... but around here (in Michigan), you can find used BC29s + Stand for around $100.

I'm doing 20% on my 7.5 atm. I figured out the ball park what it might cost me to upgrade and i ended up with about 800.

BC29 with stand - 300

25LBS of BRS rock - 50

3 panorama pro's- 270

4 way splitter and transformer - 50

New LS- 40

Maxijet 1200- 30

RODI unit - 120

Plus an additional 200 for some frags.

I'm in the milwaukee area. I'm going to keep my eye out for nice setup but i probably won't start this until next summer or during spring break at the earliest.

Trying to figure everything out because i want this to be a real master piece. Thinking with going a bicolor angel as my only other addition to what i already have.

I'd be doing a modded fuge in chamber 2? run chemipure and purigen with filter floss as well. Would it be effective to grow chaeto in one of the chambers with a submersible light or will the amount not make a significant difference ?

I'm doing 20% on my 7.5 atm. I figured out the ball park what it might cost me to upgrade and i ended up with about 800.

BC29 with stand - 300

25LBS of BRS rock - 50

3 panorama pro's- 270

4 way splitter and transformer - 50

New LS- 40

Maxijet 1200- 30

RODI unit - 120

Plus an additional 200 for some frags.

I'm in the milwaukee area. I'm going to keep my eye out for nice setup but i probably won't start this until next summer or during spring break at the earliest.

Trying to figure everything out because i want this to be a real master piece. Thinking with going a bicolor angel as my only other addition to what i already have.

I'd be doing a modded fuge in chamber 2? run chemipure and purigen with filter floss as well. Would it be effective to grow chaeto in one of the chambers with a submersible light or will the amount not make a significant difference ?

Bicolor angels get too big and will eat your corals. A cherub, on the other hand, would be fine. I have one in my BC29. He is a boss.

Bicolor angelfish get up to 6 inches and can be hard to get eating. Don't get one.

All dwarf angelfish may eat corals, it's a crapshoot.

Thanks i'll definitely switch the bicolor with the cherub. Any tips or pointers with your experience with your BC29?

It's a nice beginner tank that you can keep stock to keep some softies and lps, but can be easily modded into sps dominant if u want. I would say angels are not a crapshoot btw, as some are less likely than others to nip. Cherub is about as least likely as they get. Mine adds a lot of character to the tank. I have heard they are aggressive but mine is anything but aggressive. He gets pushed around by my Tailspot blenny who is smaller than him!

It's a nice beginner tank that you can keep stock to keep some softies and lps, but can be easily modded into sps dominant if u want. I would say angels are not a crapshoot btw, as some are less likely than others to nip. Cherub is about as least likely as they get. Mine adds a lot of character to the tank. I have heard they are aggressive but mine is anything but aggressive. He gets pushed around by my Tailspot blenny who is smaller than him!

Coral Beauties are a pretty safe bet as well.

Thank's for the replies guys. I have plenty of time but when the tie does come after my complete cycle it'll be between the coral beauty and the cherub. I'll most likely end up doing 4 panorama pro's 2 12k and 2 453nm blue? Sps will be up top with lps in the middle and softies on the bottom.

I do have an aquaticlife 115 skimmer with my stock list and weekly water changes do you guys think i'll need to use it?

Thank's for the replies guys. I have plenty of time but when the tie does come after my complete cycle it'll be between the coral beauty and the cherub. I'll most likely end up doing 4 panorama pro's 2 12k and 2 453nm blue? Sps will be up top with lps in the middle and softies on the bottom.

I do have an aquaticlife 115 skimmer with my stock list and weekly water changes do you guys think i'll need to use it?

FYI with 4 pro's u will have heat problems. I run three and my tank sits at 82 degrees in my air conditioned basement.

They're both nice tanks, the 29 isn't nearly as much bigger as the 14 as you'd think. Both can be amazing, but it all comes back to how much you want to spend on the tank. If price is of no concern , then skip the BC and go for a 110G rimless if not a 1100G rimless. Oh, so price is a concern? Then pick the one you can get the equipment, and stock for to look amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update. Ended up finding a BC29 for 50$ is great condition from a local reefer. Going to pick it up in a few weeks and then do a gradual build over the next year

Archived