inTank Media Baskets

Filter on my 28 G JBJ Nano

DaveDe

This probably should be on the beginners board but I thought I might get more exposure here.....

What filter media should I have in my JBJ 28G Nano? It came with the filter sponge, carbon and ceramic rings in the basket. I have life rock and live sand and I've gone through my initial cycling a couple weeks back. I noticed I have a fair amount of silt floating around and was pointed towards using poly fill. So do I replace the ceramic rings with the poly or the carbon or both? Or something else?

Also - I read where I could rinse out the sponge (which makes sense to me) instead of replacing it at every major water change. Or do I even need the sponge if I'm using poly?

Thanks!

I have a jbj 6 gallon and here's what i do/did

I took out the ceramic rings which were causing nitrates. I took out the carbon and replaced it with chemi pure elite which i rinse every WC with WC water. I kept the sponge and I added filter floss on top of the chemi pure.

• 4 weeks later...

:D:D

I have a jbj 6 gallon and here's what i do/did

I took out the ceramic rings which were causing nitrates. I took out the carbon and replaced it with chemi pure elite which i rinse every WC with WC water. I kept the sponge and I added filter floss on top of the chemi pure.

Thanks for the info- I removed the ceramic cylinders... couldn't keep my nitrates from spiking!!!! I am a complete newbie and have suffered some major losses recently and this had me stressed out and feeling like I had to baby this tank checking it every 4-6 hours! I was doing so many water changes. Not happy. I removed the cylinders night before last and my water was crystal clear yesterday- first time in days... it had been cloudy despite regular water changes and nitrates being maintained (by the WC's) at 10 or less. The only way I could get it to clear up was a HOB filter with carbon. So, today I replaced my heater's previous section in the filter with a media bag full of carbon. Within an hour my entire tank was more than springing back to life. My clowns that had been hiding and trying to find calm waters to just 'hang out' in are now playing in the current and actively seeking food. My water levels are all w/in fine parameters but something was making them stressed. Now everyone is either playful or completely extended and ready to get on with life :D Just seems weird to ditch what the design came with but it is definitely the way to go- I have good live rock, live sand, and chaeto + other macro algae so that should be all I need and the carbon just seemed to really finish off the happiness of the tank. Thank you again!

This probably should be on the beginners board but I thought I might get more exposure here.....

What filter media should I have in my JBJ 28G Nano? It came with the filter sponge, carbon and ceramic rings in the basket. I have life rock and live sand and I've gone through my initial cycling a couple weeks back. I noticed I have a fair amount of silt floating around and was pointed towards using poly fill. So do I replace the ceramic rings with the poly or the carbon or both? Or something else?

Also - I read where I could rinse out the sponge (which makes sense to me) instead of replacing it at every major water change. Or do I even need the sponge if I'm using poly?

Thanks!

Remove EVERYTHING. Replace the sponge with floss (poly-fil/quilt stuffing). Its very cheap, and you can toss and replace it every 2-3 days. Next down, run Purigen. Last, run ChemiPure Elite, or Blue Life ClearFX Pro. Do not stuff the ChemiPure in the last chamber of the media basket. Instead, only put the top of the bag (with the knot), inside the last chamber, and slide down the cover so it pinches it, and the bag is hanging form the media basket. This will allow good flow through the basket. I suggest upgrading to Stevie T basket. Which I just so happen to have for sale, lol. In all seriousness, the Stevie T basket has WAY MORE flow than the stock basket.

2012-09-25_20-26-54_146.jpg

2012-09-25_20-30-44_366.jpg

Remove EVERYTHING. Replace the sponge with floss (poly-fil/quilt stuffing). Its very cheap, and you can toss and replace it every 2-3 days. Next down, run Purigen. Last, run ChemiPure Elite, or Blue Life ClearFX Pro. Do not stuff the ChemiPure in the last chamber of the media basket. Instead, only put the top of the bag (with the knot), inside the last chamber, and slide down the cover so it pinches it, and the bag is hanging form the media basket. This will allow good flow through the basket. I suggest upgrading to Stevie T basket. Which I just so happen to have for sale, lol. In all seriousness, the Stevie T basket has WAY MORE flow than the stock basket.

2012-09-25_20-26-54_146.jpg

2012-09-25_20-30-44_366.jpg

LOL... this post cracks me up... no marketing here, nope not at all ;) I actually found this useful and am interested in the measurements for the basket. I have a Sera 15.8g (60L) which is a lesser known tank as it was originally designed for freshwater use. It has 4 rear chambers R to L stock was; Sponge, heater, ceramic cylinders, return pump. I have them as follows; floss, carbon, chaeto, return pump. My heater is in my tank until I decide if I need it in the rear for any reason other than cosmetic appearance. I think as my tank matures and I get more life in it (corals) the heater will disappear.

Back to the point of this post... the measurements? :)

LOL... this post cracks me up... no marketing here, nope not at all ;) I actually found this useful and am interested in the measurements for the basket. I have a Sera 15.8g (60L) which is a lesser known tank as it was originally designed for freshwater use. It has 4 rear chambers R to L stock was; Sponge, heater, ceramic cylinders, return pump. I have them as follows; floss, carbon, chaeto, return pump. My heater is in my tank until I decide if I need it in the rear for any reason other than cosmetic appearance. I think as my tank matures and I get more life in it (corals) the heater will disappear.

Back to the point of this post... the measurements? :)

Lol, thought I'd try and sneak in a sale :ninja:

The basket is 4 1/4" wide, 2 3/8" deep, and 11 1/2" tall.

Archived