Cultivated Reef

What do you think of this idea?

rotomas

I've been thinking about how to set up my first nano-reef and I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not:

I plan on using a 12-gallon Eclipse and removing the bio-wheel from the built-in filter. Instead of using a powerhead for additional water movement, I want to try and use a small external cannister filter (like the Fluval 104 or Eheim 2211) with the output routed 90 degrees to the Eclipse filter. This way I get the bonus of extra filtration as well as water movement.

Also, do you have any ideas for hiding the heater with this setup? I want to try and keep it as clean-looking as possible and the heater sticks out like a sore thumb. Thanks.

BustytheSnowMaam

You might consider ditching the Eclipse altogether, it takes a lot of effort to retrofit (adding lighting, etc) to make a good nano. There have been a lot of others who have posted awhile back about what a pain they are and why. They look sleek but are not very practical. And, the acrylic scratches easily.

I would suggest maybe going with a 10, using LR for filtration, and making a DIY canopy. I think you can get HOB filters (Tetra makes one?) that have a heater hidden inside. My LR hides my heater well, so it isn't an eyesore.

Tasha

someone mentioned some the eheims can hold heaters now if you want to try that. otherwise a small thin heater placed in the filter cartridge area in lieu of the media. (those new titanium heaters may fit)

i'm assuming you've already figured out a way to keep the return pointed into the media holding area. pointing a 104 or other canister's flow into the eclipse's setup may cause significant splash (salt creep & lighting fixture issues). thing is with that option is that all the water canister & eclipse is now flowing out of the eclipse's spout (may be too much in that area). getting 2~3 rios gives you more options and costs way less than even the 104. tie them to a wavemaker and you've got currents/tides.

I second the idea of ditching the eclipse tank altogether. It's not worth your time and effort to be messing around with an acrylic tank for a nano. GO GLASS, you'll be glad you did.. and might I recommend a 20gal. Long... :happy:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to save a little money and use the 10 gallon all-glass that I already have. So far I've put in 20 lbs live sand and 15 lbs of live rock. Instead of the canistser filter, I've decided to use a Power Sweep 212 rotating powerhead. I'm going to get some new batteries for my digi camera right now, I'll post a pic as soon as I get one. Thanks again for the help.

Archived