Pod Your Reef

Jims 16" bubble

fullmonti

I always meant to start a build thread here for this tank. When I started it I had a 180 sps tank & spent my online time on reef central. It's hard to find the time to post a long complicated thread on two sites so just did RC. I just did some update photos so thought I'd put them up here too.

FTS9-29-12.jpg

sideview3.jpg

Did some shots of the dendros at night with a flash

bigdendro.jpg

singledendro.jpg

bal.jpg

The pluming is very different, the overflow is on the outside of the tank. It took some time to work it all out.

Here is a link to the build thread, it's a bit long but hope you will check it out. I am very proud of this little bubble, hope you enjoy seeing how it came to be!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1997195

Jim

I read the full build thread for your beautiful bowl on that other site a few months ago. It took me hours. It was totally worth it.

I was in the process of turning a biorb into a functional aquarium at the time. =D You're not the only one who likes the weird magnified glass look. The only thing stopping me from finishing that project is that I realized it would really suck to clean coralline off the inside of a sphere.

How'd you deal with that on this tank?

The only thing stopping me from finishing that project is that I realized it would really suck to clean coralline off the inside of a sphere.

I found that an old credit card or drivers license made easy work of cleaning a biorb. :)

I just clean the glass with a nano flex magnet cleaner about once a week. Coraline algae has never gotten established enough that the little magnet clean wont take it off. The thing that is a pain is the glass is not vertical, so at the bottom the glass is closer to horizontal so algae grow pretty fast there. Also it being not vertical debris tends to collect on the glass near the bottom. Easy to clear just have to do it regular or it looks messy. one other little issue is by the overflow being on the outside a little scum will form on the surface of the tank water. You can lay a paper towel on the surface & it all sticks to the paper towel, I just use a small cup & skim a little water off the surface. Also not hard just the cost of having a nonstandard tank I guess.

I always meant to start a build thread here for this tank. When I started it I had a 180 sps tank & spent my online time on reef central. It's hard to find the time to post a long complicated thread on two sites so just did RC. I just did some update photos so thought I'd put them up here too.

Jim

This and the build thread are quite amazing ... great looking Tank (Bubble)

Hey albertthiel I assume from your avatar you do or did have a NPS tank?

And thanks everyone

Jim

Currently have a 20 G High with mostly LPS and a few fish in it and also a Pavona and M. setosa frag.

The tank was set up in June and is still maturing of course and I am not adding more life forms for now as I have to re-scape it completely and probably will get the sand bed out as well

Were you able to keep your avatar coral alive? I had one & some other filter feeders. Can't remember anyone having much luck with the blue lollipops.

Were you able to keep your avatar coral alive? I had one & some other filter feeders. Can't remember anyone having much luck with the blue lollipops.

No I was not :-) but then I did not have one in my tank ....

I choose the avatar because I liked it, sorry if my avatar confused you.

I have plenty of pictures of my tank on my thread, and here is a link to the latest ones I posted :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4036758

Which shows them all except for a R. florida, my GSP's, and a Plate.

It's actually kinda depressing being reminded how beautiful it was & watching it go slowly down hill. There are many of the NPS like that. When DD on LA says expert only in these cases it's really true, even then it's iffy.

Nice looking tank, i like it!

Albert the links dont work.

Odd they worked a few hours ago ... I'll check them again in the morning ATL time

It's actually kinda depressing being reminded how beautiful it was & watching it go slowly down hill. There are many of the NPS like that. When DD on LA says expert only in these cases it's really true, even then it's iffy.

Yes that is a shame indeed put NPS are hard to keep and usually only do well in species tanks IME and when fed as you say with minuscule foods based on what they require.

Pity indeed

Links:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=650

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2828

Those should work ... I hope :-) they work for me ..

It is neither of those. It is called a lollipop tunicate, don't know a scientific name but thats what Liveaquaria calls them & where I got mine.

It is neither of those. It is called a lollipop tunicate, don't know a scientific name but thats what Liveaquaria calls them & where I got mine.

This one then and yes based on what I read they are indeed not easy to keep alive in the long term unfortunately fullmonti

loltunicate.png

Pity as they are gorgeous for sure

Wow this tank is amazing, great job and glad it is doing so well!

Yes it sure is indeed. Great work and great maintenance as IMO that is what it comes down to in the end in our closed systems: frequent and regular taking care of the tank will ensure that everything in it will do well in the long term, and that is what IMO we should all strive for ... keeping our organisms and corals alive for years and years ...

Thanks every one (or y'all if your from the south)

Ya it's about time to start fraging some of the sps. They are starting to get in each others light. Nice thing about the nps & sea fan is, they grow pretty slow. Not a bad thing in a nano.

Jim

Archived