inTank Media Baskets

New To SPS continued . . . The Beginning

dmw913

Thanks to all who responded to my email. The tank is running and I wanted to share a pic for everyone. I'll keep everyone posted.

The tank ended up, after everyone's advice, to be constructed with the following:

1. 40 lbs Figi rock

2. 35 lbs sand (20 lbs Aragalive, 15 pounds regular)

3. Remora skimmer

4. Ocean light 250 W. 20,000 k HQI (Light on only for purposes of picture - I'm listening to you Aptaisia!)

5. PowerSweep (I'll use it until it breaks)

6. MaxiJet 1000 and 750 for additional circulation (hidden in rock arrangement)

7. Rena xP1 canister (I did choose to keep it - given that I'm a freak about maintenance, I'm hoping it will be worth the hassle.)

8. Clip-on fan behind lights (they were toasting my tank temp) after only a brief experiment. I've also opted to keep the tank open top.

Tank was filled with rock and water 6 days ago. I'll keep you guys posted.

i like it....i see some nice spots to put my choice corals, i think i might be starting a new tank and you have inspired me to set up a 30 cube

Looks great man. Although personally I'd raise the light a little. I like my 250w aquaspacelight mini around 6"-8" above my 20g. You wont have to clean the dried salt off of the UV glass as much and you'll have better access to the tank(one of my favorite things about having an open top tank).

How many gallons is the tank?

The tank is an Oceanic 30 gal. cube. I agree about the lights totally. However, the t-bar I had made by my LFS (I'm not much of a welder), was made that way. I was actually a little disappointed about how close it was to the water, but given that I was at the mercy of someone else, I'll have to hang with it until it frustrates me enough to have it remade. Thanks for everyone's nice words. I'll keep you all updated.

Archived