inTank Media Baskets

Help DB9 connector LED

R33 GTR

Hi i am in the process of building a full spectrum led fixture but i want to use the db9 connector but i cant figure out how to wired it up to my steve led drivers my buil consist of 6 RB, 3 NW, 2 UV and 1 OCW. Right now all i have is the leds wired next thing i am going to do is the acrylic case for the heat sink. So i need to figure out how to make the DB9 work or any other solution for a quick disconnect wired set up any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Hi i am in the process of building a full spectrum led fixture but i want to use the db9 connector but i cant figure out how to wired it up to my steve led drivers my buil consist of 6 RB, 3 NW, 2 UV and 1 OCW. Right now all i have is the leds wired next thing i am going to do is the acrylic case for the heat sink. So i need to figure out how to make the DB9 work or any other solution for a quick disconnect wired set up any help will be gratefully appreciated.

There are a number of different cables you can use to hook up LEDs to their drivers. At least 23 gauge wire is recommended (by Steve's), other folks use slightly larger wire because technically the wattage you're passing through the wire is high enough that (in order to conform to UL's or CE's or whatever other accreditation group actually accredits such things' standards) it should be a little bit bigger than 23 gauge.

Anyway. That aside, you can hook up a DB9 connector the same way you'd hook up any other connector--pick some pins and solder your wires to them, keep track of which wire you put where, and make sure the right pins on each connector get soldered to the appropriate string of LEDs and to the appropriate drivers. It is rather arbitrary which pins on the cable you use for which signals, since you're not actually using the cable for its intended purpose.

I would also caution you--if you ever disconnect the cable while the LEDs are running, DO NOT PLUG IT BACK IN without making sure the driver is absolutely 100% turned off before doing so. If you do, you will blow your LEDs. This is why my rig is hard-soldered in place--I don't trust other people not to bump the connector and, innocently thinking they're just fixing the problem they created by disconnecting it, plug it back in and kablooie.

There are a number of different cables you can use to hook up LEDs to their drivers. At least 23 gauge wire is recommended (by Steve's), other folks use slightly larger wire because technically the wattage you're passing through the wire is high enough that (in order to conform to UL's or CE's or whatever other accreditation group actually accredits such things' standards) it should be a little bit bigger than 23 gauge.

Anyway. That aside, you can hook up a DB9 connector the same way you'd hook up any other connector--pick some pins and solder your wires to them, keep track of which wire you put where, and make sure the right pins on each connector get soldered to the appropriate string of LEDs and to the appropriate drivers. It is rather arbitrary which pins on the cable you use for which signals, since you're not actually using the cable for its intended purpose.

I would also caution you--if you ever disconnect the cable while the LEDs are running, DO NOT PLUG IT BACK IN without making sure the driver is absolutely 100% turned off before doing so. If you do, you will blow your LEDs. This is why my rig is hard-soldered in place--I don't trust other people not to bump the connector and, innocently thinking they're just fixing the problem they created by disconnecting it, plug it back in and kablooie.

Woooooooo thanks for the heads up i will re-think that option

Archived