Top Shelf Aquatics

57G Rimless

Twist1157

Hey guys, i'm on to my second tank. I recently sold my first set up and I was supposed to take a break from the hobby for a while. . .as you can tell that didn't work out too well LOL. I took my GMAT's today and I still have some major things lined up. . . but I figured maaaaybe I could juggle a new tank in between LOL. I got a great deal from my LFS and I couldn't pass it up! My new Deep Blue 57G Rimless Tank and stand will be here on Friday!! :D I will be running this sumpless. . .just live rock and my AquaC Remora HOB skimmer. I need to figure out the lighting i'm going to use for this tank. I LOVE the Kessil a350w. . .but $400 is a little too much for me right now. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I definitely want to go LED.

What do you guys think about this one?

Ecoxotic Panorama Marine LED Fixture:

http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-marine-led-system.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=t5A9f7PtX-4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hypersnyper694788

The light looks pretty nice, i like how slim and minimalistic it is. The only thing is i dont think you willl be able to grow SPS with it. Other than that it looks great.

The light looks pretty nice, i like how slim and minimalistic it is. The only thing is i dont think you willl be able to grow SPS with it. Other than that it looks great.

Thanks snyper...I've searched everywhere for reviews on this light and I can't seem to find any at all. I guess that's because it's a relatively new product. I'm trying to figure out what lighting i'm going to use and I have narrowed it down to this light or the Reefbrite Tech LED 36". . .the only difference I see is that the Ecoxotic uses 1W LED's while the Reefbrite uses 3W LED's. I'm kinda leaning towards the Ecoxotic just because of the form factor and the fact that it has a built in dimmer and can go from white to blue. From what I understand the Reefbrite Tech LED's are just on and off.

Reefbrite Tech LED:

http://www.reefbrite.com/reefbrite-tech-led/

hypersnyper694788
Thanks snyper...I've searched everywhere for reviews on this light and I can't seem to find any at all. I guess that's because it's a relatively new product. I'm trying to figure out what lighting i'm going to use and I have narrowed it down to this light or the Reefbrite Tech LED 36". . .the only difference I see is that the Ecoxotic uses 1W LED's while the Reefbrite uses 3W LED's. I'm kinda leaning towards the Ecoxotic just because of the form factor and the fact that it has a built in dimmer and can go from white to blue. From what I understand the Reefbrite Tech LED's are just on and off.

Reefbrite Tech LED:

http://www.reefbrite.com/reefbrite-tech-led/

Im sure if the Reefbrite had a dimmer it would be plastered all over there advertising. Unfortunaley i don't think i am experienced enough to suggest which one is better. My LED's are from a company called KEY. I have never heard of them and they seem to work quite well. :happy: So i dunno the real difference between one brand and the next. I think its all about the PAR rating, timing and what type of corals you plan to have.

Im sure if the Reefbrite had a dimmer it would be plastered all over there advertising. Unfortunaley i don't think i am experienced enough to suggest which one is better. My LED's are from a company called KEY. I have never heard of them and they seem to work quite well. :happy: So i dunno the real difference between one brand and the next. I think its all about the PAR rating, timing and what type of corals you plan to have.

I think i'll go with the Ecoxotic...i'm not too sure as to what I want to keep yet. I still have much to learn...especially about corals! I've only been in the hobby for 18 months, this is my second tank! :D

Ecoxotic Panorama Pro's grow SPS just fine. I have 3 Pro's over my 30 gal and have been able to grow montis, birdsnests, and acros.

Do you have 3 Pro Strips, as in the square unit that you insert the strips into? This new fixture is only one continuous strip across the entire tank. It only has 30 LED's...18 x 12,000K white and 12 x 445nm blue...i'm assuming that should be sufficient...but then again I have no experience with LED's

I think i'll go with the Ecoxotic...i'm not too sure as to what I want to keep yet. I still have much to learn...especially about corals! I've only been in the hobby for 18 months, this is my second tank! :D

Do you have 3 Pro Strips, as in the square unit that you insert the strips into? This new fixture is only one continuous strip across the entire tank. It only has 30 LED's...18 x 12,000K white and 12 x 445nm blue...i'm assuming that should be sufficient...but then again I have no experience with LED's

Yes, three strips, each 12 LEDs for a total of 36 LEDs over a 29 gallon. Since they are in a closed-top biocube tank I just installed the strips into the hood, instead of taking the top off and buying the whole fixture/unit thing. That light looks NICE, but based on my experience if u want SPS u would probably need 2 over a 57 to get a closer LED to gallon ratio as my tank.

Yes, three strips, each 12 LEDs for a total of 36 LEDs over a 29 gallon. Since they are in a closed-top biocube tank I just installed the strips into the hood, instead of taking the top off and buying the whole fixture/unit thing. That light looks NICE, but based on my experience if u want SPS u would probably need 2 over a 57 to get a closer LED to gallon ratio as my tank.

I don't think i'll be keeping SPS. . .would the 30 LED's be sufficient for everything else?

I picked up the tank and stand on Friday! I used plastidip on the back panel so just in case I ever wanted to remove it I can just peel if off! Don't mind the scuff on the wall...the aquaC remora on the old tank was touching the wall there...just need to touch it up!

t5ltah.jpg

So far i've added 60lbs of live sand...CaribSea Oolite! The sand and water have been in there since Friday and it's still couldy!! I decided to run the skimmer for a little to see if it helps to clear up the water. I also put about 20lbs of dry base rock in to see if maybe it will also help??? I still have another 30-35lbs to add...but i'm still putting it together ;). Is there anything else I can do to help clear the water up? There is also quite a bit of foam on top of the water. The skimmer seemed to have cleared up most of it but there's still some left around the edges.

2meoe4o.jpg

Looks like a nice build.

As for the lights....you can get the pretty powerful Taotronics LEDs for the same money. Idk if you would need more than one but if you get the ecoxotic ones you'll def need two or three minimum. Also, idk how their penetration is.

If I were you I'd probably just save up for an AI Vega or something like that.

Looks like a nice build.

As for the lights....you can get the pretty powerful Taotronics LEDs for the same money. Idk if you would need more than one but if you get the ecoxotic ones you'll def need two or three minimum. Also, idk how their penetration is.

If I were you I'd probably just save up for an AI Vega or something like that.

Thanks! What do you think about the Kessil a350w? I came across this thread...check it out. Not bad for $260...any thoughts?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2073373

clownfishlover

Very Interesting, I plan to upgrade to this tank in 2 months without sump also. I have saw that light in person it is very bright I'm sure not sure about Par. The shop had it on a 40 gallon breeder with mostly LPS corals and they look fine. It looks very slick on a rimless tank.

Thanks! What do you think about the Kessil a350w? I came across this thread...check it out. Not bad for $260...any thoughts?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2073373

Very Interesting, I plan to upgrade to this tank in 2 months without sump also. I have saw that light in person it is very bright I'm sure not sure about Par. The shop had it on a 40 gallon breeder with mostly LPS corals and they look fine. It looks very slick on a rimless tank.

I saw one in my LFS but it was on a very small tank...I think it was a 14g. I wish I could see it on a large tank in person. I think I might have to go with the a350w...I just realized that the a150w is only one color! I want to have the option to adjust between white and blue.

Beautiful tank. As for lighting I think you should look around for an AI Sol blue they have been going for very fair prices on the exchange.

Beautiful tank. As for lighting I think you should look around for an AI Sol blue they have been going for very fair prices on the exchange.

+1 to this guy!

Hey guys, just a quick update on the tank. Picked up 40lbs of CaribSea Fiji Pink and 20lbs of the Oolite. Finished the aquascape and the water has finally cleared up. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics!

5miuiq.jpg

(not the final position of the skimmer!!!...just ran it to help clear the water)

Picked up my MP10 today!!

v6sn41.jpg

I'm thinking supplementing the MP10 with another small powerhead directed behind my rock work.

Any suggestions?

Might want to go with two mp10 or a koralia. I have two mp10 and think it is the perfect flow for a mixed tank. Also for lights I had two kessils and loved them. I wanted more control ability so I built my own fixture. I built my fixture for around $250. Aquastyle online or led group buy is a great way to go. Milad will help with anything

Nice build so far!

Might want to go with two mp10 or a koralia. I have two mp10 and think it is the perfect flow for a mixed tank. Also for lights I had two kessils and loved them. I wanted more control ability so I built my own fixture. I built my fixture for around $250. Aquastyle online or led group buy is a great way to go. Milad will help with anything

Nice build so far!

Thanks!...I was thinking about using a Koralia. I had two 425's on my 35g and they were great...never game me a problem! What size would be a good addition to the MP10? Keep in mind I only want to direct it behind my rockwork and hopefully not kick up the Oolite. I have the MP10 on the random reef crest mode :D

Oh I misunderstood. I had 2 koralia evolution 750 for a long time but now have two mp10. Id go with a 750. Dead silent and good power

Also, not sure why this didn't occur to me but if you want a 750 I have one I can sell to you for $30 shipped. I think they're normally around $40 new. It's a year old and works well. Pm me if you want it

Also, not sure why this didn't occur to me but if you want a 750 I have one I can sell to you for $30 shipped. I think they're normally around $40 new. It's a year old and works well. Pm me if you want it

nice and good size tank

Thanks for the offer!...but I think i'll be picking up a new one in about a week or so.

I will be putting up some new pics of the tank! There are some really nice overhangs and spaces in the rockwork and the iPhone pics don't do it justice. I'll take some new ones with my camera later tonight!

Good to hear. Your tank is awesome! I really like th rock work. I wish I added more rock to my tank. You can also see my tank with the DIY LEDs in my thread in my sig if your interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys...just a quick update on the tank. It's been 3 weeks now and still no ammonia spike. I don't know why it's taking this long...my LFS suggests that I add a fish to introduce some ammonia to the tank. With my old tank ammonia spiked on its own with no fish and I kinda want to take the same route with this tank. Shouldn't I have seen some signs of ammonia by now??? There is 55lbs of Marco Rock (dry base rock) and about 6lbs of live rock from the LFS in there...as well as 60lbs of live sand. Should I add some ammonia to the tank to help kick start things?? Please help!

P.S. I decided to go with the Kessil a350w...should be in on Monday! :)

Archived