Pod Your Reef

Anyone changed the two bearings in a MP10 ?

NanoTopia

After being woken up several times last night, and nights before, by the most horrific grinding noise I have ever heard, I have decided to DIY service my MP10 dry side.

Reasons:

Warranty just expired (of course), had the pump for only 14 months.

Ecotech is not interested in servicing a Canadian customer.

Retail store (in Canada), where I bought it is only wanting to sell me a new dry side for $140.00 + 13% tax.

So after a little research I have found the replacement bearings (not from Ecotech). I just ordered two and await delivery from the USA.

UPDATE: DO NOT ORDER THESE BEARINGS UNTIL YOU HAVE CONFIRMED THEY ARE THE RIGHT ONES FOR YOUR MODEL AND MANUFACTURER DATE. THERE ARE DIFFERENT BEARING SIZES USED ON MP10 DRY SIDE, YOU WILL NOT KNOW WHICH ONES ARE IN YOUR MP10 UNTIL YOU OPEN THE UNIT UP. PLEASE READ THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

S687ZZ Bearing 7x14x5 Ceramic Stainless Steel Shielded Dry Premium ABEC-5 Miniature Ball Bearings

2X $28.00 $56.00

Shipping: Canada: $10.00

Sales Tax: $0.00

Total: $66.00

So for less than half the price I should have things in working order, that is when they arrive.

Has anyone done a bearing replacement on a MP10 dry side that can offer any advice?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easily Distracted

Yes. I did it to one about 6 months ago. It's still working great. I forgot a lot of details by now, though. There is a big writeup thread about it on Reef Central. It might have started as an mp40 thread but has both writeups in it now.

Yes. I did it to one about 6 months ago. It's still working great. I forgot a lot of details by now, though. There is a big writeup thread about it on Reef Central. It might have started as an mp40 thread but has both writeups in it now.

THANK YOU, I have seen some threads and information since posting this but still looking for any hints/tips etc. Did you use ceramic bearings or other type? Was the noise generated less overall from the average new MP10?

thadscottmoore

Only hard part about the MP10 is splitting the case as its a sealed case unlike the big brother MP40. I did one two years ago and ordered the bearing from BOCA bearings- ceramic bearing set. Just google MP10 bearing replacement. Placing motor assembly in freezer overnight will help get the bearings off.

Is it just a disposable world now?

I had a bit of a disagreement with Ecotech today. They seemed quite irate at me, they even deleted my forum post when I questioned their customer service. Well I may have been a bit forward I admit but I was at a loss why they were basically telling me to just buy a new MP10 dry side. They would not help me with servicing in their factory or in my country (Canada) in any way. They just told me to contact the retailer I bought it from, they would sort it out. I thought, why the retailer, they are not in the service/repair business. So I contacted them anyways and they told me, as I expected, they would like to help but they are not in the repair business.

So after several emails back and forth, they just decided to delete the enquiry stating they solved my dilemma, but they had not, I still needed service, I was willing to pay for it, still nothing?

So I hate to cause any trouble, I just want my MP10 to work properly so my reef does not suffer. Neither the retailer or the manufacturer was able to help me, so I decided to help myself, and fix it myself.

I wonder why this company was unwilling to help me fix their product when I was willing to pay the costs involved, I will never know the answer to this question as they refuse to talk to me now. Guess I am old school, well I feel old, seems today if you make a product and it breaks or wares out, the customer is on their own to fix it, or just buy a new one. So I will, fix it that is, and I will post how others can as well, for less than buying a new one. Seems this is what they want you to do, just buy a new one. There is a cheaper way that upgrades the MP10, and makes it even quieter. Anyone can do it and it costs less than $60.00, in many cases under $40.00.

Look for my new thread coming soon on how to fix your MP10's worn out bearings. When my bearings arrive I will document, step by step, how to do this simple fix at home.

Here's the RC link with pics. He also lists what bearing he used.

Hope this helps!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901337

Only hard part about the MP10 is splitting the case as its a sealed case unlike the big brother MP40. I did one two years ago and ordered the bearing from BOCA bearings- ceramic bearing set. Just google MP10 bearing replacement. Placing motor assembly in freezer overnight will help get the bearings off.

Thank you, I have seen the procedure and think it is quite simple overall. I'm pretty handy with things so I think it will be a breeze. I will make sure I freeze the motor, good idea! thanks thadscottmoore :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did it a few months ago. Went well. Check my mantaray thread to see the bearing I ordered. I also ordered some ceramic hybrids from boca bearings. The hardest part was prying it open. Just take your time with it. You'll be really happy when you replace tr bearings. It's just so much better.

Captain Hook

I just ordered some abec 7 hybrids from boca bearings, they should be here within a week, hopefully they are quieter

SMR147C-2OS #7 LD

$31.90/2

Im interested in what other types people have used and had good results with

i guess i made the right choice of going with tunze instead of vortech when choosing for powerheads.

i have heard way too many horror stories and premature failures of MP40s and how useless their CA glue was. not all was bad but it was enough to make me steer clear of this company.

tunze on the other hand have a very helpful customer support, roger from Tunze is more than happy to help and answer any questions you have regarding any new or old products. My tunze pump is 6+ years and still on the original propeller , churning out ridiculous amounts of flow.

i guess i made the right choice of going with tunze instead of vortech when choosing for powerheads.

i have heard way too many horror stories and premature failures of MP40s and how useless their CA glue was. not all was bad but it was enough to make me steer clear of this company.

tunze on the other hand have a very helpful customer support, roger from Tunze is more than happy to help and answer any questions you have regarding any new or old products. My tunze pump is 6+ years and still on the original propeller , churning out ridiculous amounts of flow.

On a big tank, tunze all the way! On a small tank though, I think the mp10 is king. And I seriously hate ecotech customer service. It's crap. I emailed them about the bearings and I never heard back from them. Not once. I even called and left a message. They have the worst customer service if you are out of warranty. They don't even ackowledge your existence. Plus I've been reading about bearings, and metal bearings should not be subjected to magnetic fields because it causes the metal balls to dig into the rails. Ecotech knows this. They have engineers, they're not stupid.

Here's a nice video on how to replace bearings on the MP 40. I used this as a reference when I replaced my MP 10 bearing. It was pretty quick and easy – I ended up placing the bearing assembly in the freezer for a couple of hours then removed the old bearings.

On a big tank, tunze all the way! On a small tank though, I think the mp10 is king. And I seriously hate ecotech customer service. It's crap. I emailed them about the bearings and I never heard back from them. Not once. I even called and left a message. They have the worst customer service if you are out of warranty. They don't even ackowledge your existence. Plus I've been reading about bearings, and metal bearings should not be subjected to magnetic fields because it causes the metal balls to dig into the rails. Ecotech knows this. They have engineers, they're not stupid.

I would have to agree with you, this was similar to my experience. International repairs are basically out of the question when you factor in shipping. If your warranty is expired, you are on your own, Ecotech is only interested in sending you a new dry side at retail price $106 USD+tax+shipping to Canada (not cheap). Seems they are not interested in the repair business, both in the USA and International. Live and learn, but it makes you wonder what all the Ecotech hype is all about, I'm done with Ecotech.

I had never thought about the magnet vs steel bearings, this makes perfect sense, they were likely cutting manufacturing costs. Their deal seems to be make it last only a year or two so we can sell them another one.

My bearings arrived at the post office today, need to pick them up and get started on the repair. Keep you posted.

Well some things are just not worth the bother. Stupid me.

I finally received the bearings I ordered, three weeks later and many restless nights of my dry side making noise.

I took the body of the dry side apart, and discovered the bearings I ordered are the wrong size, yes you heard right, wrong size. The company sent the correct ones I ordered. It seems that ecotech may have changed designs somewhere along the line and the bearing size I researched to order, is not the one in my pump.

I know, I should have taken the whole pump apart and checked the bearing size before ordering, but this would have been a big job and thought I could get around doing that.

I have just emailed the bearing company I ordered the bearings from hoping they will exchange them for the correct bearings size/model. Waiting for reply. Fingers crossed.

I have put the dry side together again and it seems to be working as before, poorly, but working.

LESSON: When something breaks down, like a Ecotech pump, just suck up the loss and just throw it in the garbage. It really has not been worth my troubles at all. In retrospect, I should have just paid the $150 CDN for a new dry side.

Original MP10w ES pump cost (14 months ago) = $330 CDN including taxes

Bearings original cost = $66 CDN

Cost of replacing the bearings (again) = unknown at this time

Time spent and loss of sleep= priceless

Keep you posted

Christine

Guess I can't change the bearings on my dry side now. Stupid hose came off my return pump when I was disconnecting my mp10 and just soaked my controller. Took it apart and dried it but it just won't work now.... All it does is flicker the lights very dim. Ugh #### now I'm in need of a new powerhead for my 40B.

Thanks for the update

Hopefully you'll get the right bearings

With minimal cost

Thanks, If I have to buy a new dry side I will, this has sucked the life out of me already, simply not worth the hastle.

Guess I can't change the bearings on my dry side now. Stupid hose came off my return pump when I was disconnecting my mp10 and just soaked my controller. Took it apart and dried it but it just won't work now.... All it does is flicker the lights very dim. Ugh #### now I'm in need of a new powerhead for my 40B.

Sorry to hear, looks like we are both having a bad ecotech day.

You can buy the controller part separately, don't bother trying to fix it.

I'd heard that people were finding the newer models to have a different size bearings...sounds like it's true. Can you tell us what the correct size is?

I'd heard that people were finding the newer models to have a different size bearings...sounds like it's true. Can you tell us what the correct size is?

The correct size is the one that is currently in the MP10/20/40/60 you have. The only way to know is by looking inside your dry side and physically reading the tiny numbers on the bearings themselves.

I am not avoiding your question to make life more difficult for you, I only want you and others to not have to go through what I just have. There seems to be more than one bearing size used in the MP10's, just how many I do not know. The only way to know is to physically confirm by checking inside before ordering. It is an extra step but it will not take you as long next time around because the hardest part is removing the plastic seal.

I really don't want to give out numbers of bearings and be responsible for people ordering the wrong ones. I have amended my original post as well.

Christine

The correct size is the one that is currently in the MP10/20/40/60 you have. The only way to know is by looking inside your dry side and physically reading the tiny numbers on the bearings themselves.

I am not avoiding your question to make life more difficult for you, I only want you and others to not have to go through what I just have. There seems to be more than one bearing size used in the MP10's, just how many I do not know. The only way to know is to physically confirm by checking inside before ordering. It is an extra step but it will not take you as long next time around because the hardest part is removing the plastic seal.

I really don't want to give out numbers of bearings and be responsible for people ordering the wrong ones. I have amended my original post as well.

Christine

Totally understand, & yes, checking the exact one to be fixed is always best. I'd like to think Ecotech isn't circulating a bunch of MP10s with different bearing sizes, but I suppose one never knows.

Totally understand, & yes, checking the exact one to be fixed is always best. I'd like to think Ecotech isn't circulating a bunch of MP10s with different bearing sizes, but I suppose one never knows.

Well, i think we can all understand your frustration with the whole ordeal. Such an expensive piece of equipment and feeling that its going in the trash is horrible.

However, the information edited and removed from your earlier posts is limiting the experiences others will have in a negative way. Obviously you are making an effort to keep others from making the same mistake, this we can all plainly see.

But not answering the question with the data requested also hinders our abilities to move on with our own tries at this same fix/mod. Telling us to give it up and just buy a new one is just going to cause ppl to turn the page and get the info elsewhere when we could have gotten it here.

I hope you'll reconsider the removal of valuable data that is esentially priceless given the number of hobbyist in your situation.

Well, i think we can all understand your frustration with the whole ordeal. Such an expensive piece of equipment and feeling that its going in the trash is horrible.

However, the information edited and removed from your earlier posts is limiting the experiences others will have in a negative way. Obviously you are making an effort to keep others from making the same mistake, this we can all plainly see.

But not answering the question with the data requested also hinders our abilities to move on with our own tries at this same fix/mod. Telling us to give it up and just buy a new one is just going to cause ppl to turn the page and get the info elsewhere when we could have gotten it here.

I hope you'll reconsider the removal of valuable data that is esentially priceless given the number of hobbyist in your situation.

No information was removed from this thread. I only added a Update (in Red) on the first post I made indicating you should check your bearing size first before ordering to save money and time. There seems to be more than one MP10 dry side design in circulation, I would only speculate that different bearing sizes were tried as they continued production. There may be more bearing configurations in existence besides the two I know of.

I have and will continue to share all the information I have with everyone regarding this repair and experience. I too hope it can be valuable to others in a similar situation. :)

Archived