Coral Vue Hydros

My first RO unit

Dazz78uk

I like in the Lake District in Cumbria England and we have one of the best water supply in the world. We don't get lime scale or anything

I know people around my area who don't use ro they just use tap water and never have a problem but I personally would not risk it.

Because our water is so good the unit won't have to work that hard so I don't think I would need a heavy duty one if you know what I mean. I could be wrong.

I don't know a lot about them so any advice would be great

It looks like a good little unit. 100 gpd, and it has the DI resin as well, which is a bonus. But, as Ballhog pointed out, it doesn't look like the filter media for the first two stages of filtration can simply be replaced. Do the two canisters need replaced? What is the cost involved.

If you know people who are using it, and recommend it, I would go for it. Just realize that it could get costly in the long run: when the filter media is exhausted.

I say go for it. And get a TDS pen too while you're at it so you can monitor both what goes in (tap) and RO TDS.

Thanks for the reply. What's a TDS pen please. Never had a ro unit before so don't know how it all works and what to do with it eather realy

Do the two canisters need replaced? What is the cost involved.

If you know people who are using it, and recommend it, I would go for it. Just realize that it could get costly in the long run: when the filter media is exhausted.

Looks like I would have to replace the canisters when they are done. I will have to look into the cost of the canisters. Will look for prices now. Thanks

What's a TDS pen? Well I really don't mean to come off as an arrogant r-sole, but you really need to fugure that out in order to effectively use your

RO filter. ;) Just google it up and get one from ebay while you're there. They're inexpensive and - well - you could really do with one.

Google and wikipedia are our friends on moments such as this. :D

What's a TDS pen? Well I really don't mean to come off as an arrogant r-sole, but you really need to fugure that out in order to effectively use your

RO filter. ;) Just google it up and get one from ebay while you're there. They're inexpensive and - well - you could really do with one.

I looked on google and eBay while I was waiting for a reply. Google is a good source of information but I think it's better getting an answer off experienced people like yourself who use such things. You never know who has written things you find on google

I thought this section (beginners discussion) is for new people like me to ask for help. We could always re name this section to go google it.

Sorry for the rant but us newbies always find it hard to get good relatable information without just being told to go away and look into it.

If someone asks me a question I know the answer to I will answer it. I don't see why people have a problem doing the same.

I apreaciate all the information I get and find this forum very helpful compared to others and wasn't expecting to get that answer

They're great too. Just suggested a pen version as they're slightly cheaper and a bit more versatile. I have this.

Thanks I was looking at one like this. As you said it might be better to go for the pen as it is more versatile

I'm from Lancashire originally and know just how good water in the North West UK can be. Buy a TDS meter first, that way you can test water no matter where you get it from (tap, another reef keeper, whatever) and control the quality of the water that goes into your tank.

Something like this should do.

http://www.osmotics.co.uk/products/TDS%252...-TDS-Meter.html

You may be able to get away with just a DI unit. If not, something like the unit in the link below would be about the best you are going to find off the shelf in the UK. Buy a better sediment and carbon filter the first time they need replacement.

http://www.osmotics.co.uk/products/Ultra%2...-RO-System.html

i emailed the guy selling the ro unit on ebay and had this reply

stage 1 and 2 (pre filters) 9.50 for the pair. These will filter 1500 us gallins or last 12 months

stage 3 r/o membrane. The life of the membrane is dependant upon the quality of your tap water but they do generally last around 18 months, cost £17.99 to replace

stage 4 di resin, again dependant upon tap water quality but life span is around 3 to 6 months.Stage 4 is a refillable hosuing so you would only have to refresh the resin.The resin is priced at £5.00 per ltr (the cartridge holds 350 ml).

this dont sound too bad to me

will get a tds pen first and see what my tap water looks like

Deleted User 3
I thought this section (beginners discussion) is for new people like me to ask for help. We could always re name this section to go google it.

Sorry for the rant but us newbies always find it hard to get good relatable information without just being told to go away and look into it.

If someone asks me a question I know the answer to I will answer it. I don't see why people have a problem doing the same.

[/color]

I am with you but on this forum it doesn't work that way. Basically dont ask any questions lol. I got and get yelled at a lot. But whatever :) Good luck, i don't know much about RODI units either!

Kind of sounds like an arrogant r-sole though :)

I am with you but on this forum it doesn't work that way. Basically dont ask any questions lol. I got and get yelled at a lot. But whatever :) Good luck, i don't know much about RODI units either!

You get yelled at because you ask questions or make statements and get angry when everyone tells you the contrary ;)

Kind of sounds like an arrogant r-sole though :)

He really wasn't trying to be. It's just "one of those" topics that is a main subject in a lot f different threads, and when it's asked atleast once every 2~3 times a question about water quality comes up, it gets redundant and sometimes aggravating.

A good rule of thumb in this hobby to keep the jerks and trolls away is if somebody mentions a word or name that you aren't familiar with, check out nano-reefs library which has a lot of acronyms that I'm still learning after a year in this site, and a quick google search. If you don't spot an answer after glancing at the first page, it is probably safe to go ahead and ask away. You should never feel scared or bothered to ask, but unfortunately some people have nothing better to do than call you out for beig a noob.

Of course, it works in the the direction, too. Like when people ask questions after clearly doing zero research... DON'T be one of those people ;)

First of all .. research !

Second get good ro/di unit. I bought similar unit from ebay and it was biggest piece of junk I have every seen.. leaking from every connection ... parts were breaking..

Save more and get better

this dont sound too bad to me

It sounds quite reasonable. Since you've had recommendations for this unit from people that use it, I definitely think it is worth trying.

Archived