Cultivated Reef

Not rinsing sand?

JMurphy97

Maybe I'm being lazy or just paranoid about using a garden hose to rinse sand. Other then being super cloudy is there any bad things that can and/or will happen if I don't rinse my sand? I'm using the special grade reef sand. Forty pounds in a 40 breeder.

Idc how many people say its fine; I bought 10 gallons of rodi water from my fish store to clean out my sand and dry rock.

Not that anything would happen. It's just a pain in the ass to have to spend days afterwards cleaning the particulates off of the glass without scratching it and once the powerheads go on, all the silt that rested at the bottom kicks up again.

I normally rinse my sand on freshwater tanks. That being said I didn't rinse my sand on my saltwater tank. It was cloudy for a day and I have had to clean the glass with a magfloat a few times. I had a lot of fine "power" end up in my sump which will get vac'd out. I have rearranged my rock work 3 times since starting my cycle. When I re arrange it gets cloudy for about 12 hrs and clears up crystal clear after.

I COMPLETELY forgot to rinse my sand before I put it in my tank and filled it up. It wasn't until my Dad (who was visiting) said, "Is it supposed to be that muddy looking?" that it even dawned on me.

I put a fine filter floss in the overflow box and in my sump between the baffles and they caught all of the dust. I had to rinse them a few times in RO water then put them back in. I replaced them once just to be sure all the dust was gone but eventually I took them out all together. Now my water is crystal clear.

I still don't have any fish or anything because I'm still waiting for the cycle to get done but I don't think it hurt anything.

I put it in a bucket or pot in my sink. Stir sand, dump murky junk, and repeat -over and over and over. It will be amazing as to how much it will take to make the stuff even remotely clear. If you are adding to a new tank, I would rinse. It really is safe (at least in the sink).

I put it in a bucket or pot in my sink. Stir sand, dump murky junk, and repeat -over and over and over. It will be amazing as to how much it will take to make the stuff even remotely clear. If you are adding to a new tank, I would rinse. It really is safe (at least in the sink).

Archived