ReefCleaners.org

100% real deal purple hornets?

NanoNewb2011

Are they? Bought them here and I decided to frag a few polyps to recoup some of the purchase price and let them regrow in my tank and I was told they're imitation PHs

What's the verdict on NR?

2d78e1806634c56d135fefea530d49e5.jpg

godfathernikki
When i posted them on a local forum i had a few people come at me telling me theyre imitations

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthre...-Purple-Hornets

Check out my edited post, I wrote that before I noticed the center color.

Mine look more like this, however it could possibly be the lighting because they still have the alternating skirt color that usually gives it away.

EDIT: Those are actually blue hornets^^ Whoops!

I wouldn't worry about recouping your cost for it right away. If they become fast growers in your tank then you can sell frags from time to time and eventually make money off of them. But if they are slow growers, you'll be left with fewer polyps and lost money. They look like the real deal to me, they appear to have the alternating skirts.

Deleted User 3
They don't look like true Hornets to Me. The skirts look like they are half purple and half yellow. True hornets have alternating purple and yellow skirts.

+1 I don't see the alternating skirts.. it looks more like theres 1 layer of yellow and the back layer is purple, instead of alternating.

+1 I don't see the alternating skirts.. it looks more like theres 1 layer of yellow and the back layer is purple, instead of alternating.

Yes tulip girl that's how they are supposed to be. All hornets have a front and a back row. Zoom into the pics you see of other "real" hornets.

These hornets are 100% real.

Check out my edited post, I wrote that before I noticed the center color.

Mine look more like this, however it could possibly be the lighting because they still have the alternating skirt color that usually gives it away.

If they have a center like that then they are blue hornets. True purple hornets don't have such a distinct white center.

I have to agree these are real.

1) You do have alternating skirt if you zoom in and look close.

2) The inner ring of the hornets are well defined as a "tight line" ring. The fakes lne in not as defined and spreads more like an aurora than a line.

3) I will give you a dollar a polyp.....and we can call them fake if you want. LOL

The typical Purple Hornet fake is the "Blue Steel"

post-76038-1348257646_thumb.jpg

godfathernikki
If they have a center like that then they are blue hornets. True purple hornets don't have such a distinct white center.

My mistake, you guys are correct. I just looked up my old posts - I purchased them AS blue hornets from a member here lol. Not sure why I thought they were purples...

Well how long have the zoas been in your tank and what kind of light do you use?

The closeup pic is pretty but definitely under more blue lights than the reference pics.

With that said, the original pic does look like #2 in Coralpedia to me... and I don't know jack about zoas.

I just did a trade with BillyC and I think he's a standup guy. I would have gone for a private conversation, if I had doubts about what I've received.

The original picture was the picture he had in his selling thread. I took pictures today of the zoas

Rockymountainfrags PHs:

IMG_9479_zps74eecbb1.jpg

zoas from billyc in my tank

DSC00047_zps2250ea29.jpg

DSC00048_zps8a4aef43.jpg

DSC00059_zps68e25e2b.jpg

People have been saying the ring looks different.

I personally like them and think they're cool. I was just bummed when people started telling me they werent PHs and that I had over paid. And if I did, thats my fault because I should have done my research.

Yeah, I felt like you've overpaid it... $375 including shipping if I'm correct... Ehh. They look very identical though other than the ring.

I paid $360 for the record

And ill add what i posted on his selling thread:

for the record i wasnt blasting BillyC for what he sold. I was just stating that they might not be actual hornets and expressing my bum feelings about. On the other forums I had posted them on, I even said i hope the guy didnt know they were imitations.

We had agreed on a date to ship and he ended up having to work. And he texted me saying he'd give me a full refund since he couldnt ship on the agreed day and we made other arangements. That doesnt seem like the kind of guy who would be trying to sell fakes knowingly.

If i have imitations, thats on me for not researching. No hard feelings

Ehh, if anything you could probably sell some now to recoup some of the money. That's like what, $8 per polyp for what you paid? Not too bad. :)

I honestly just want to know what i have

I can't read what those people on socali said since im not a member, but really? For the most part all zoas will grow at Around the same pace. Saying "ew, that has a ring 2mm smaller than this zoa, therefore I'm going to say you over paid by x amount of dollars" is ####ing ridiculous. If in your mind you would have paid 1000 bucks, or 5 bucks on what they look like, that is up to you.

Bunch of pretentious #######s.

Archived