Coral Vue Hydros

Led \ driver... lend some advice if you can.

smacaulay

Hi there, this is my first post on here so hello all.

I'm going to jump right in, as im having little luck with led advice from the uk forums, thought i'd jump in on here to see if i could get some help. (Being an led noob and all)

I just recently brought a 46litre / 12gal. Its been cycling for just under 3 weeks now, but before i start stocking it i want to get my lighting sorted.

The tank came with the stock leds and they just dont cut it, so I'm going to cree it up lol.

I'm planning on...

6rb xt-e and 2 true violet leds from one driver.

3nw xp-g from another.

I want both drivers to be dimmable. I just wanted to know if i can use two mean well eln 60-48-d drivers to power these or if i should go with a lower spec driver?

Will be running 24w on blues and violets (rbs run at 1500mA, violets run at 500mA. If i run them both at 500mA from one driver will this be counter productive as ill be losing 1000mA and X amount of PAR and Lumen from the rb's?.

I'm really stuck with the most efficient ways to run the leds. Please give me some help if you can. All these different part numbers and matching products is starting to get a bit overwhelming.

Regards.

Si

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Hi there, this is my first post on here so hello all.

I'm going to jump right in, as im having little luck with led advice from the uk forums, thought i'd jump in on here to see if i could get some help. (Being an led noob and all)

I just recently brought a 46litre / 12gal. Its been cycling for just under 3 weeks now, but before i start stocking it i want to get my lighting sorted.

The tank came with the stock leds and they just dont cut it, so I'm going to cree it up lol.

I'm planning on...

6rb xt-e and 2 true violet leds from one driver.

3nw xp-g from another.

I want both drivers to be dimmable. I just wanted to know if i can use two mean well eln 60-48-d drivers to power these or if i should go with a lower spec driver?

Will be running 24w on blues and violets (rbs run at 1500mA, violets run at 500mA. If i run them both at 500mA from one driver will this be counter productive as ill be losing 1000mA and X amount of PAR and Lumen from the rb's?.

I'm really stuck with the most efficient ways to run the leds. Please give me some help if you can. All these different part numbers and matching products is starting to get a bit overwhelming.

Regards.

Si

Meanwells 60-48d are the absolute wrong driver for this setup. You will blow the LEDs right when you power the meanwell.

You are going to want to go something like:

8 XT-E Royal Blue (25w driver)

4 XT-E Neutral White (25w driver)

2 OCW and 2 True Violet (25w driver)

The reason for this is you need more LEDs so you can get a small driver to power them. You won't be able to put just 2x True Violets on driver so you can toss in some OCW which ends up giving you a full spectrum build.

This would be more than enough for your tank and would give you the best color. Nothing else would come close to the ratio/leds.

Meanwells 60-48d are the absolute wrong driver for this setup. You will blow the LEDs right when you power the meanwell.

You are going to want to go something like:

8 XT-E Royal Blue (25w driver)

4 XT-E Neutral White (25w driver)

2 OCW and 2 True Violet (25w driver)

The reason for this is you need more LEDs so you can get a small driver to power them. You won't be able to put just 2x True Violets on driver so you can toss in some OCW which ends up giving you a full spectrum build.

This would be more than enough for your tank and would give you the best color. Nothing else would come close to the ratio/leds.

Thats ace dude thankyou...

Any particular driver you would recommend? Or would any flebay find be ok?

The added benefit i noticed with the meanwell drivers was the input voltage range. Being able to run the drivers from uk 230v mains being a bonus as theres no need for a transformer. Lol one less variable to screw up on.

Funny it was you to respond as i was planning on purchasing through ledgroupbuy.

OCW?

Also out of interst what corals would this system support?

Much appreciation dude.

Si.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Thats ace dude thankyou...

Any particular driver you would recommend? Or would any flebay find be ok?

The added benefit i noticed with the meanwell drivers was the input voltage range. Being able to run the drivers from uk 230v mains being a bonus as theres no need for a transformer. Lol one less variable to screw up on.

Funny it was you to respond as i was planning on purchasing through ledgroupbuy.

OCW?

Also out of interst what corals would this system support?

Much appreciation dude.

Si.

25w driver: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/inventronics-25w-driver-700ma/

Water proof, dust proof, solid build and you can use it in UK np

OCW: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/ocean-coral-white/

Basically what the OCW will do is pop all the color like oranges/reds that the other LEDs cant pop as well.

The number of LEDs and the type (CREE) you have in the build will support anything. SPS/LPS/Softies

However, if you are doing LPS/Softies you may need to dim them down to about 30-40%. Just start off low at about 20% and slowly increase and watch your corals over a couple weeks to see if they are starting to bleach or not. If they are bleaching, its too much light.

Archived