Top Shelf Aquatics

"The Two Towers" 62G SPS Starfire Reef (Rebooted)

JDigital

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have finally gotten everything cleaned up with the tank/sump this week... I've let the fijicrete "cure" for 2-3 days so my rock structure should be rock solid.

Basically, I'm at the point where it's "Turn the RODI on and fill er' up!"............

And for the first time in my reef keeping "career" I'm actual hesitant about filling this tank up as I'm worried its going to be ANOTHER failure. This "system" is about 1.5years old... and it has not looked like a healthy reef tank for more than maybe a few weeks to a month before something has always gone wrong, corals have died rapidly, fish deaths, etc..

I'm truly at a point where I'm not sure I could deal with more failure if this reboot fails. I was actually pretty excited to get home from work today, put the hose in, and start the long slow process of filling it up this weekend... and yet, I haven't pulled the triggered tonight. :wacko:

It's a crappy feeling.

Well... I did it. The tank is completely salty again.

Unfortunately, I ran into an issue with my ATI T5 fixture.. I've been having issues with the bulb in channel 1, thinking they were burning out. After a bit of testing today I realized its actually the fixture that is screwed up and that channeling doesn't seem to be working. :( I can hear it "click" right before the bulbs are suppose to fire, but then nothing happens. So now I'm going to have to deal with getting this fixed.

I guess the only good thing is that I wasn't planning on running my lights for the next 3-4 weeks while the tank cycles/cures/does its thing.

The joys of reefing! <_<

jedimasterben

Probably the ballast. Replace it with an HEP ballast model if it's out of warranty. Reefgeek sells them in the US, not sure if they'll ship to Canada.

jedimasterben

Definitely should be! I'm not sure who does the warranty work in Canada, and the ATI website isn't all that helpful lol

I'm hoping the LFS I bought from will take care of any warranty issues through their supplier, but I'm not holding my breath.. Will find out this week.

Thanks Frank.

Just waiting for a cycle to start (which reminds me I need to do a test today) and my replacement parts to show up for my ATI Sunpower fixture. Which they shipped out Friday. :)

Gotta admit, the ATI customer service was excellent when I emailed them. Couple simple emails back and forth and supplying my original receipt and they shipped out the replacement parts within 2 days of emailing them.

I received my replacement parts for my ATI fixture yesterday.. So seeing as I took today off work I was able to get them swapped in.

Tank is still lights out while I cure/cycle the tank but I flipped them on for literally 30 secs to snap a couple pics now that the fixture is hung back above the tank.

100% Both channels:

CAM00120_zps531bf3b9.jpg

14% Channel 1 Only (1 ATI Superblue & 1 ATI Purple Plus)

CAM00118_zpsc2492e96.jpg

20% Channel 2 Only (2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Superblue & 1 ATI Aquablue Special)

CAM00121_zps21afa647.jpg

Misc Pics:

CAM00122_zps54b6b646.jpg

CAM00123_zps89387865.jpg

3 Weeks since starting up.. Cycle is moving along nicely, looks like its about time to do a water change.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20-40ppm
PH - 8.3
Salinity - 1.026

Looking good.

Crazy how I was reading threw this and noticed you were having issues with your ati fixture as well. My ch2 does not fire. They sent me 2 relays and a replacement ballast, I swapped both relays and the ballast and still not firing ch2. Im awaiting a reply to the email I sent them.

Just noticed, I have the same washer. Lol

Looking good.

Crazy how I was reading threw this and noticed you were having issues with your ati fixture as well. My ch2 does not fire. They sent me 2 relays and a replacement ballast, I swapped both relays and the ballast and still not firing ch2. Im awaiting a reply to the email I sent them.

Just noticed, I have the same washer. Lol

Damn.. Hope you get it sorted out.. For me the issue was the relay. but I swapped the ballast out, put it back together, tested it and said a bunch of curse words and had to tear it all back apart and replace the relay. Then it worked.. haha

ATI seemed pretty good so I'm sure they will get you sorted soon. Are you sure you replaced the right parts for the right channel? Silly question but ya never know. It can't be much else besides the relay or ballast.

Yeah I ended up replacing both relays and purchasing another ballast. So in the end I replaced both ballast, both relays, and 2 bulbs. Ch2 still not firing. I checked and recheck that all was hooked up right. I put the replacement relay right nxt to existing relay and transfered one wire at a time making sure I was placing in the correct slot and did the same with the ballast. No clue what the issue is at this point. They got back to me fairly quickly the first time around so im sure they will be in contact with me shortly.

• 3 weeks later...

The tank is looking ready for livestock..... I'm just at a complete loss as to what to start stocking with. haha Never had that issue before.

Any suggestions?

14686354316_f07950c8c8_m.jpg

14522677550_e51c52559f_m.jpg

14729211563_7ac0057198_m.jpg

Just went thru your thread man!! Crazy what happened but good to see things back and looking clean!!

Where abouts are you located in Alberta?! PM me!! :)

Rabbitfish are a personal favorite, and an awesome 'utility' fish, as well. :)

I love rabbitfish... Had one in here WAY back when I first started this tank, I just feel like they get a bit too big for a 60G tank. Unless you can suggest one that doesn't grow masssively.. The one I had before I donated to my LFS's 450G Display and he is now the biggest fish in the tank.. :lol:

Just went thru your thread man!! Crazy what happened but good to see things back and looking clean!!

Where abouts are you located in Alberta?! PM me!! :)

Thanks... It's been a rollercoaster.. Thats for sure!

I'm in Airdrie. You?

The tower on the right looks like

image-78.jpg

Hahahahaa! I suppose it does a little bit.. :lol:

Archived