Innovative Marine Aquariums

is this aiptasia anemone? :(

lehaneya

I saw thin on my LR today while doing a water change. I have never had a problem with aiptasia before so i wanted to confirm that this is aiptasia(hope the pic is good enough, the specimen is very small). Also if it is ant tips on getting rid of it? i found online that you can inject it with lemon juice.

post-58828-1348154190_thumb.jpg

I saw thin on my LR today while doing a water change. I have never had a problem with aiptasia before so i wanted to confirm that this is aiptasia(hope the pic is good enough, the specimen is very small). Also if it is ant tips on getting rid of it? i found online that you can inject it with lemon juice.

Yep, that's an aiptasia anemone all right. Try not to piss it off too much or it'll react by releasing larvae and your problem will only spread. (namely get it on the first go or else). Lots of good options for removal... personally I prefer either Aiptasia-x (glues its mouth shut in addition to killing the anemone) or a focused 10 second blast from a mini butane torch (it's what I have on hand readily) to the section of rock its on. The latter approach will kill everything on that spot of rock, but coraline will regrow readily if all else is well with your tank.

Yep, that's an aiptasia anemone all right. Try not to piss it off too much or it'll react by releasing larvae and your problem will only spread. (namely get it on the first go or else). Lots of good options for removal... personally I prefer either Aiptasia-x (glues its mouth shut in addition to killing the anemone) or a focused 10 second blast from a mini butane torch (it's what I have on hand readily) to the section of rock its on. The latter approach will kill everything on that spot of rock, but coraline will regrow readily if all else is well with your tank.

Thanks, I think i have a butane lighter somewhere so i am going to go with that method. My tank is only 10G so i am a bit weary of putting anything thing in it(Commercial products or lemon juice) in case i miss the aiptasia.

Just so you know... unless you go hog-wild with the dose there's not much risk of throwing your tank's water chemistry out of balance if you use any of those products as directed.

I dislike the lemon juice approach because it's easy to miss the possible ring of clones at the base of the parent. Joe's Juice for the same reason, and I stupidly burned myself once with getting a hypo of boiling water into position. The -X product's nice in that it doesn't trigger the anemone(s) into reacting to it as a threat, and the burner method simply burns everything in that spot (and anything within the rock) to ash.

EDIT: or for Tiki's sake you could just take a pair of bone cutters or off the shelf cutting pliers and clip out the chip of rock it's made its home on. Take a look at his pest tank thread... it's surprisingly beautiful and a great example of how to stock a pico reef in such a way as to make it nigh bulletproof.

EDIT: or for Tiki's sake you could just take a pair of bone cutters or off the shelf cutting pliers and clip out the chip of rock it's made its home on. Take a look at his pest tank thread... it's surprisingly beautiful and a great example of how to stock a pico reef in such a way as to make it nigh bulletproof.

Hehe. I love that little pest tank. I'm about to set up a peacock mantis shrimp tank, and I will be welcoming "pests" to that tank as well. Anything that will grow and survive without reef lighting--majanos and aiptasia will happily grow without strong lighting. Fortunately, my green/red majanos are starting to multiply!

I don't let aiptasia or majanos grow in my main reef tank though.

Hehe. I love that little pest tank. I'm about to set up a peacock mantis shrimp tank, and I will be welcoming "pests" to that tank as well. Anything that will grow and survive without reef lighting--majanos and aiptasia will happily grow without strong lighting. Fortunately, my green/red majanos are starting to multiply!

I don't let aiptasia or majanos grow in my main reef tank though.

Ha. You do have your limits. :)

Your pest tank is truly awesome, btw. W-

I'm also a huge fan of the pest tank. I have a nice aptasia in my pico that I'm keeping. It's actually my fav thing in the tank besides my sally lightfoot :)

I'm also a huge fan of the pest tank. I have a nice aptasia in my pico that I'm keeping. It's actually my fav thing in the tank besides my sally lightfoot :)

You need some of my green majanos with red tips. Good news is that they're starting to multiply. Soon I'll be able to start giving them away to people.

You need some of my green majanos with red tips. Good news is that they're starting to multiply. Soon I'll be able to start giving them away to people.

Haha, yes! I would love that !

:-D

Archived