inTank Media Baskets

Too much flow?

qball

Hi

I am running JBJ 24G with a SunSun JV-100 pump. Not the best there is but it does the job and cheap enough to replace if it breaks.

When it is running it moves the sand around and sometimes suspends about 100 grains that I can see.

Instead of replacing the pump, I was thinking of using a dremel to remove a little bit on the impellor so make flow *slightly* less. I want enough flow to suspend organics and un eaten food, but not to move the sand around.

Any suggestions?

First off correct me if I'm wrong but the 24gal jbj only has one pump right? If so I would want the best ( most reliable ) pump I could find cause bad things can happen fast with no flow.

As far as turning the pump down I would just put lil holes in the tube that goes from the pump to the return spout. If you mess up its supper cheap to replace. If you dremmel the impeller you can through off the balance causing noise, heat and premature pump failure.

Hope this helps

Also I found the rio hyper flo pumps worked well in the 28gal nano cube ran for years with no problem.....if that helps any

First off correct me if I'm wrong but the 24gal jbj only has one pump right? If so I would want the best ( most reliable ) pump I could find cause bad things can happen fast with no flow.

As far as turning the pump down I would just put lil holes in the tube that goes from the pump to the return spout. If you mess up its supper cheap to replace. If you dremmel the impeller you can through off the balance causing noise, heat and premature pump failure.

Hope this helps

Also I found the rio hyper flo pumps worked well in the 28gal nano cube ran for years with no problem.....if that helps any

Hi - thanks for the input. I think there is a misunderstanding here - let me clarify.

I have the return pump from behind, working fine like it should, no issues there. Flow on that pump is a bit wimpy (±1000l/ph) but it does the job.

Then I have an additional SunSun pump (powerhead) in the display for additional flow. Now that is the guy moving my sand around. So if that one fails the other one would still provide proper circulation.

Hi - thanks for the input. I think there is a misunderstanding here - let me clarify.

I have the return pump from behind, working fine like it should, no issues there. Flow on that pump is a bit wimpy (±1000l/ph) but it does the job.

Then I have an additional SunSun pump (powerhead) in the display for additional flow. Now that is the guy moving my sand around. So if that one fails the other one would still provide proper circulation.

maybe you could try to block off part of the end of the powerhead that the flow comes out of? That way your reducing its output flow and not taking the risk of ruining the powerhead

maybe you could try to block off part of the end of the powerhead that the flow comes out of? That way your reducing its output flow and not taking the risk of ruining the powerhead

Hmmm don't think it'll work here. The design of the head would actually make flow stronger then as there might be a pressure build up, unless I maybe close it off at the back end?

Here is what it looks like:

JVP101B.jpg

Hmmm don't think it'll work here. The design of the head would actually make flow stronger then as there might be a pressure build up, unless I maybe close it off at the back end?

Here is what it looks like:

JVP101B.jpg

Redirect it facing at an upward angle so alot of the flow is dissipated

Redirect it facing at an upward angle so alot of the flow is dissipated
I agree, you should be able to accomplish your goal just by playing with the placement and direction. Plus, if it is a new sand bed, grain movement tends to decrease as the bacteria population (bio-film) increases.
Try one of those rotating deflectors it will decrease you flow by about 30% and give more of a wave so it's not so lamaner

This http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_FLO_Rotat...IWMIW-4-vi.html

I have used them with great success. The only down side is you have to clean them regularly or they will break.

dude, wtf? can you not read?

hes not talking about the return pump, hes talking those koralia powerheads for wide spread flow inside the tank

dude, wtf? can you not read?

hes not talking about the return pump, hes talking those koralia powerheads for wide spread flow inside the tank

Read fine..... Don't get all the pics with crapy 3G from sprint.

Chill guys, thanks for all the feedback. Here's what I did :

Just in case, got another pump ($12) and extra impeller ($3).

Took out the existing impeller, the I dremelled off about 1/3 of the blade surface area. Put it back in, pump running 100%, flow still good but without the sandstorms.

I think I should play around a bit more with some impellers to find the sweet spot.

Might just have to go and get a different powerhead.
Maybe.

If you wanted to, you could try to fashion a prefilter for it (that would reduce the flow a bit).

However, physically moving it down/up (not just the direction it's facing) will also affect the flow. Rearranging your rocks can affect flow too. :unsure:

Edit: Oh, cool. Glad you got it resolved.

Archived