Pod Your Reef

Best AIO for sps

pwoller

except Elos aren't AIO's. They are nice though and it's very possible that you could end up spending enough on upgrades for an AIO to make it close to the cost of an Elos.

I don't know if there is a truly great AIO for sps out of the box. They all require modding, some are just easier to mod than others. Cadlights, RSM and Innovative Marine make a 24inch long AIO which makes it easier to find fixtures for if you want t5 or just want standard sizes instead of pendants or arms. Nanocube and Biocube both have 150w halide fixtures, both really limit your skimmer choices. The RSM's proprietary lights work surprisingly well, but they are proprietary. The RSM and the Cadlights are probably the closest to being ready right off the truck.

Success is pretty mixed from what I've read with the LED fixtures that come stock on some models of Nanocube and Cadlights and the Innovative Marine.

My opinion is if you really want an AIO, figure on spending at least as much as the tank itself cost in mods to make it SPS worthy. Some people have had success with less, but they are exceptions. It may sound like I'm down on them, I'm not- I own one (a Nanocube). Just letting you know that AIO's really aren't if you want to go the SPS tank route.

My opinion is if you really want an AIO, figure on spending at least as much as the tank itself cost in mods to make it SPS worthy. Some people have had success with less, but they are exceptions. It may sound like I'm down on them, I'm not- I own one (a Nanocube). Just letting you know that AIO's really aren't if you want to go the SPS tank route.

Well put, I really don't think that there are many out of the box AIO's that don't require modding for even simple reefs. To get a system that really makes an great reef, especially SPS, expect to upgrade lights, pumps, etc.

I'd have to agree with this. Of course it can be done with AIO's but as everyone said, you'll be looking into a quite a few upgrades. The only one I can think of which may be a decent choice is a solana. Only because it's more of an open top design and you can find the tank without the lights. You'll still have to get a good skimmer and lights but I feel like the solana comes with the bare minium of an AIO so u can at least customize it better without getting rid of too much.

Even tho so tho, u'l be replacing the skimmer, ATO, and adding lights, reactors etc.

Nicest one I've seen that was mostly sps is podpimp's. But you can look at alot of the monthly profiles and see that there are alot of BC's and AIO's that have quite a few sps in them. It just isn't out of the box tho.

Sort of hijacking this thread, with questions from having read the responses. Can one do without a skimmer for an AIO setup that's less than 10g? Or even smaller than 5g? The lighting and filtration upgrades would be natural, but would a skimmer-less setup work?

I'd have to agree with this. Of course it can be done with AIO's but as everyone said, you'll be looking into a quite a few upgrades. The only one I can think of which may be a decent choice is a solana. Only because it's more of an open top design and you can find the tank without the lights. You'll still have to get a good skimmer and lights but I feel like the solana comes with the bare minium of an AIO so u can at least customize it better without getting rid of too much.

Even tho so tho, u'l be replacing the skimmer, ATO, and adding lights, reactors etc.

Nicest one I've seen that was mostly sps is podpimp's. But you can look at alot of the monthly profiles and see that there are alot of BC's and AIO's that have quite a few sps in them. It just isn't out of the box tho.

If you have the time you can always get a 40B, 20L, 20H or any tank and make it a custom AIO. If I was going to go the AIO route again I would definitely DIY it to have exactly what I want and need for an SPS tank.

Any of the readily available AIO's will limit you on space and the type of equipment you will be able to use. If you DIY one you can build it around how much display space you would like and the equipment you are planning to use.

It can be challenging but in the end it will pay off when you sit back and enjoy something you built yourself.

Just my .02

Sort of hijacking this thread, with questions from having read the responses. Can one do without a skimmer for an AIO setup that's less than 10g? Or even smaller than 5g? The lighting and filtration upgrades would be natural, but would a skimmer-less setup work?

are you talking about an SPS tank tho? Or just a regular mixed or lps/softie pico? SPS will be much harder to do in a smaller tank. Not many of the pico's here are pure sps. I think theoretically it could possibly be done but it would be a pain. Dealing with evap alone would probably drive u up the wall as sps aren't all that forgiving.

If your talking about a mixed pico then yes definitely it can be done without a skimmer.

Hey thanks for the feedback. Nano Reef rocks! What I have in mind is more a softie garden or at most mixed. Perhaps with a tiny shrimp or fish, maybe not. Thinking about max 10 g before live rock. I am drawing inspiration from the Zero East (might have mangled the name) tank over at ReefBuilders. Nuvo 8 looks good, but I am not ruling up getting a rimless tank (with a lid) and build from there - AC50 or 70, then a light. No sump, nothing else... At least that's my thought, for now.

are you talking about an SPS tank tho? Or just a regular mixed or lps/softie pico? SPS will be much harder to do in a smaller tank. Not many of the pico's here are pure sps. I think theoretically it could possibly be done but it would be a pain. Dealing with evap alone would probably drive u up the wall as sps aren't all that forgiving.

If your talking about a mixed pico then yes definitely it can be done without a skimmer.

I dont think any AIO is suitable out of the box for SPS, like others have stated, you will have to due a few mods.

I had an SPS dominant NanoCube 12. Just upgraded my return, lighting, media basket with floss, purigen, and CP-Elite and had a mp10. Upgraded my salt mix from instant ocean to red sea pro and changed 3g a week (2g on Mondays 1g onThursdays and had great results.. Also had chaeto and LR rubble in the middle chamber.

If you have the time you can always get a 40B, 20L, 20H or any tank and make it a custom AIO. If I was going to go the AIO route again I would definitely DIY it to have exactly what I want and need for an SPS tank.

Any of the readily available AIO's will limit you on space and the type of equipment you will be able to use. If you DIY one you can build it around how much display space you would like and the equipment you are planning to use.

It can be challenging but in the end it will pay off when you sit back and enjoy something you built yourself.

Just my .02

+1 this. It's easier to get a tank, make the Skimmer/Fuge/Return that will fit your specification. That or hit up a tank manufacturer and ask them to build an AIO that will fit your needs. After that, get a good light fixture. I feel that some of the plug-and-play type AIO lack the lighting you need for SPS.

Speaking of DIY AIO, I thought of this tank build. Not SPS, but pretty ingenious IMO.

Archived