Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pump location?

privitor

Im building a sump and was wondering is it better to use a mag drive pump in-line, outside of the sump, or submerged, in the sump?

What do yall think?

All depends on you. It is easier just to throw it in the sump. The big question is do you need the space in the sump. Maybe more room for a protein skimmer.

With an external pump you do run a higher risk of some kind of leakage. Pump inside the sump may be a bit louder due to vibrations. Also take into consideration is the heat any pump will produced. All pumps will add some heat to the water, even the external ones. This may or may not be an issue for your tank.

im more worried about corrosion or salt buildups on the pump. i have seen other peoples in sump pumps and im surprised they are even still running.

im more worried about corrosion or salt buildups on the pump. i have seen other peoples in sump pumps and im surprised they are even still running.

If they are in the sump, that means they are underwater, so you wont have salt build up on the pumps. I have seen a lot of external pumps with salt creep all over them. That means some thing was leaking.

Archived