inTank Media Baskets

40B Tank/Stand Build

TankManJay

So I bought a 40gal breeder yesterday at Petco's $1/gal sale. And I am looking to build a new setup. What's everyone think of the pictures below? Need suggestions and ideas. Thanks

post-74118-1347798760_thumb.png

post-74118-1347798803_thumb.png

post-74118-1347798858_thumb.png

post-74118-1347798693_thumb.jpg

post-74118-1347798426_thumb.jpg

post-74118-1347798859_thumb.png

Not sure of the software. I found these pics on another blog. It wasn't detail oriented so needing help with overflow/how big drains and returns should be/plumbing configiration etc. Everything else i am pretty handy with DIY. Where did you buy your overflow and plumbing?

I'm using 1 1/2" drain and 3/4" return as well. Glass-holes overflow. My pump is pretty fast so the larger drain pipe is needed. The size of your drain will need to reflect the size of your return pump. How much water it needs to move.

The display tank will be a 40 breeder with a 20 long as the sump. I need help with what pumps/overflows/plumbing etc. Anyone can she some light or provide good reads to assist? Thanks

it depends on how much flow you want. Go to Glass-Holes for an overflow kit. For a return determine how much flow you want and how much the overflow kit can handle. Google "aquarium pump head loss calculator" to determine the gph pump you want. look at the different mag pumps and their gph

I would go with the 700 GPH kit. So when you use the head loss calculator, you dont want the amount of water going into the tank to be higher than that.

In all seriousness, I have the glass-holes 700 GPH kit and their 3/4" return kit in a 40B. Works great.

I used a Maxijet NJ 3000 utililty pump for return, but I have it throttled most of the way down or I get a bunch of bubbles in the display. 790GPH through 4 or 5 feet of head is somewhere between 400 and 550 GPH on that pump.

I would go with 4x4 for legs not 2x4, they don't cost much more and the stand will be solid. I used 4x4 for my 20L and the thing will NOT move and I made the stand large enough to upgrade to a 30B and I will not have to worry about the weight or the stand wabbling. Keep in mind that the tank full will weight about 450-500lbs plus what you have down below and that doesn't include your hood and lights. 4X4's will give you the support you need.

Home Depot has pressure treated 4x4 8 feet in length for $6 each and 2x4 the same length are $2 cheaper so you spend the extra $10 for the 4X4 and you will get double the strength and stability for your stand.

I would go with 4x4 for legs not 2x4, they don't cost much more and the stand will be solid. I used 4x4 for my 20L and the thing will NOT move and I made the stand large enough to upgrade to a 30B and I will not have to worry about the weight or the stand wabbling. Keep in mind that the tank full will weight about 450-500lbs plus what you have down below and that doesn't include your hood and lights. 4X4's will give you the support you need.

Home Depot has pressure treated 4x4 8 feet in length for $6 each and 2x4 the same length are $2 cheaper so you spend the extra $10 for the 4X4 and you will get double the strength and stability for your stand.

You build your stands with treated wood? Hardly furniture grade IMO.

@ spipedong - Is this what you bought from glass-holes? What pump do you recommend?

http://glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Bo...it-gh700kit.htm

Yep. That's what I have. One of these too: http://glass-holes.com/3-4-Inch-Loc-Line-R...it-Return75.htm

As I said, I have a maxijet 3000 for my return. It's probably too much pump for the setup I have... The overflow will handle it wide open no problem but it makes a lot of noise and there are lots of bubbles. Anything 450 - 600 GPH is probably what you're looking for, depending on the head loss in your return line.

You can't really go wrong with most of the major brands, Marineland, Quiet One, Eheim, etc... Although the one 'quiet one' pump I owned was also the loudest pump I ever owned.

edit: If you're not in a huge hurry and want to save a few bucks glass-holes sometimes will sell 'scratch & dent' overflow kits for $10-$15 off normal prices. Also, check their facebook page and they occasionally have promo codes listed there.

It seems as though you are still looking for plumbing help. Click back a few pages through my build and see what I did. It's pretty detailed actually and is easy to follow. I like my Eshopps overflow but it took some ingenuity to get it to be silent. I have no issues with it at all. Your return pump should be able to pump more water than what your overflow can provide.

Archived