Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reef snow going bad?

tennis20

I started feeding my tank .3mL of reef snow every other day. I got my duster before the summer and it looked great. Ever since then it has been shrinking. I started feeding in the begging of august. I do weekly water changes of 1-2 gallons. The reason i have nitrates is because i have ceramic rings and i have been taking them out slowly to prevent a crash. And it lost it's crown today. Could my Reef snow be bad or spoiled? Thanks for any input.

Params

Trates-<20

trites- 0

ammonia- 0

pH- 8.1

I started feeding my tank .3mL of reef snow every other day. I got my duster before the summer and it looked great. Ever since then it has been shrinking. I started feeding in the begging of august. I do weekly water changes of 1-2 gallons. The reason i have nitrates is because i have ceramic rings and i have been taking them out slowly to prevent a crash. Could my Reef snow be bad or spoiled? Thanks for any input.

Params

Trates-<20

trites- 0

ammonia- 0

pH- 8.1

Have you kept it refrigerated after opening? Mine has a sticker on the bottom of the bottle with an expiration date, does yours?

It was not refrigerated in the store so i thought i didnt have to. and no, it just said i am able to recycle the bottle.

You always refrigerate after opening...

You know that 'Reef Snow' by itself doesn't actually do much, right? It is basically just very fine aragonite sand that lets other particles bond to it, just like a flocculent. The particles are then larger and corals are able to catch them easier. The coral eats the good stuff and then the aragonite is passed out through waste.

I believe the worm is dead now so i will stop feeding Phyto but in the future if i were to get another worm or maybe a clam. What would you suggest? And how do i know if the worm is dead because the crown fell off and i squeezed it's tube and i didnt feel anything.

They can regrow their crown, but it's rather unlikely to happen, and I would very highly recommend against a clam in such a small system. Small clams grow much faster than large clams, and a small clam will outgrow a 6 gallon tank in no time, not to mention the calcium, carbonate, and nitrate uptake.

For both, feed foods that are less than ~15 microns in size.

It looks like the tube is withering away so ill probably take it out today. And I was just wondering what to feed a clam for future reference if I ever get a bigger system.

It looks like the tube is withering away so ill probably take it out today. And I was just wondering what to feed a clam for future reference if I ever get a bigger system.

Food that is less then 15 microns, that's about the biggest size they can filter out.

Archived