Innovative Marine Aquariums

applied current question

dling

I have a question about the current I'm seeing people apply to their led's. It's mostly on the blues and whts.

What are the advantages of driving them at the higher current's ? I have seen some of the people running at 1A (1000ma) on blue and as high as 1.5A's(1500ma) on the whites. I currently have mine both set at 700ma.

If the lights can be kept cool at higher currents is it good to run them that way? I'm curious because if I can get better results from my lighting just by raising the current that would be great.It's the same thing as how I overclock my computer. More power for less money.;)

4022331[/url]']

I have a question about the current I'm seeing people apply to their led's. It's mostly on the blues and whts.

What are the advantages of driving them at the higher current's ? I have seen some of the people running at 1A (1000ma) on blue and as high as 1.5A's(1500ma) on the whites. I currently have mine both set at 700ma.

If the lights can be kept cool at higher currents is it good to run them that way? I'm curious because if I can get better results from my lighting just by raising the current that would be great.It's the same thing as how I overclock my computer. More power for less money. ;)

There are numerous brands and types of LEDs and some can take (and should be driven) with higher forward current than others. These differences in specs are likely why you see significant differences in the currents at which people are running them, more than an intent to overdrive.

The curve for extra lumens vs. extra heat (& thereby decreased lifetime) differs by brand, but in general my impression is that it's not worth it--the LEDs will outstrip the limitations of their heatsink being driven above spec long before they'll generate enough extra light to make it worth the trouble.

Certainly at the very least it'd be tough to advise without knowing more about your LEDs and drivers specifically.

The curve for extra lumens vs. extra heat (& thereby decreased lifetime) differs by brand, but in general my impression is that it's not worth it--the LEDs will outstrip the limitations of their heatsink being driven above spec long before they'll generate enough extra light to make it worth the trouble.

It really depends on whether or not you can keep them cool. Running any LED array in, say, a Biocube hood is a surefire way to run them HOT and decrease their lifespan unless holes are cut in the hood for proper ventilation fans. Using a tube-style heatsink and a blower fan, I can keep my LEDs nearly room temperature and the heatsink is just warm to the touch, right around 100-110F.

So there's nothing wrong with running them to their full specifications (ie, Rebels up to 1000ma, Cree XT-E up to 1500ma, XM-L up to 3000ma) so long as they are kept cool.

It really depends on whether or not you can keep them cool. Running any LED array in, say, a Biocube hood is a surefire way to run them HOT and decrease their lifespan unless holes are cut in the hood for proper ventilation fans. Using a tube-style heatsink and a blower fan, I can keep my LEDs nearly room temperature and the heatsink is just warm to the touch, right around 100-110F.

So there's nothing wrong with running them to their full specifications (ie, Rebels up to 1000ma, Cree XT-E up to 1500ma, XM-L up to 3000ma) so long as they are kept cool.

Do find that the drivers get hot when running at higher currents ?

Do find that the drivers get hot when running at higher currents ?

They need adequate cooling, as well. Just don't seal them up, though, and you'll be fine.

Archived