inTank Media Baskets

Loud "CRACK" Sound!

jack1978

Hey guys,

I heard a loud snap type of noise. Didn't think much of it. Went to feed the tank a while later a discovered the plastic center strip of the tank completely separated from the front rim. "F"! Anyone experience this? I don't even know who the manufacturer is, only it's a 46 bow.

Advice welcome.

Jack

For now you need to put a clamp across the middle to support the weight that th brace was holding. dont over tighten the clam just bring it to where the gap in the break closes. I have seen where a nother member reinforced the a break with plexi and nylon nuts and bolts. Personaly I would gets some weldon 16 and glue it as well as bolt it. Take a pic and we will be able to help more.

Kevin

time to get rid of the bow front. I had one that I got for free. It had the middle plastic piece removed and it was fine for an entire year. But I wouldnt do that again.

For now you need to put a clamp across the middle to support the weight that th brace was holding. dont over tighten the clam just bring it to where the gap in the break closes. I have seen where a nother member reinforced the a break with plexi and nylon nuts and bolts. Personaly I would gets some weldon 16 and glue it as well as bolt it. Take a pic and we will be able to help more.

Kevin

Good idea Kevin.

Thank you

Time to upgrade

LOL,

this was my "upgrade".

time to get rid of the bow front. I had one that I got for free. It had the middle plastic piece removed and it was fine for an entire year. But I wouldnt do that again.

Cool, I had to leave for work. Maybe it'll still have water in it when I get home. The wife is going to be thrilled!

Also make sure your tank is level. I had a 28g bowfront I kept as a FW tank where I removed the center brace n it was fine till the day I scrapped it. Something caused that brace to snap though n I'm willing to bet it might not be completely level.

Also make sure your tank is level. I had a 28g bowfront I kept as a FW tank where I removed the center brace n it was fine till the day I scrapped it. Something caused that brace to snap though n I'm willing to bet it might not be completely level.

Good point man. I never put a level on it as the water line all the way around was "level". I got this thing used and never looked close at the brace....maybe it had some stress there previously. Should have kept the cube. Oh well, it's only money :angry:

Hey guys,

I heard a loud snap type of noise. Didn't think much of it. Went to feed the tank a while later a discovered the plastic center strip of the tank completely separated from the front rim. "F"! Anyone experience this? I don't even know who the manufacturer is, only it's a 46 bow.

Advice welcome.

Jack

A friend has the same tank! same thing happened!

A friend has the same tank! same thing happened!

The pisser is I finally got the stupid thing dialed in, scape done, corals somewhat placed and the critters in. Oh, drilled and dumped it and DIY LEDs done. Anyone in the Ventura County area with a similar sized tank for sale? Let me know.

Thanks!

The pisser is I finally got the stupid thing dialed in, scape done, corals somewhat placed and the critters in. Oh, drilled and dumped it and DIY LEDs done. Anyone in the Ventura County area with a similar sized tank for sale? Let me know.

Thanks!

You could remove the whole center brace andreplaceit with acrylic it would cost you 25 dollars and maybe 2hours. Work. You would even need to drain the tank. If you want I can write you a material list and step by step directions. That way you ron. Loose all the work you have into the tank. Its worth a try and if your not happy your out a few dollars.

kevin

You could remove the whole center brace andreplaceit with acrylic it would cost you 25 dollars and maybe 2hours. Work. You would even need to drain the tank. If you want I can write you a material list and step by step directions. That way you ron. Loose all the work you have into the tank. Its worth a try and if your not happy your out a few dollars.

kevin

Kevin,

I appreciate that. I've got some acrylic sheet that I can cut to fit. I think Depot has the nylon nuts and bolts...I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I can't see why it wouldn't be just as strong as before....but for peace of mind I may pick up a 40b from PETCO as soon as the local one starts the dollar per gal deal.

Just called my local Petco. I was in yesterday and they had nothing posted about the dollar per gal sale, so figured it was a no go. Turns out it's going on now...guess I'm on my way to pick up a 40. Just wish they were a little deeper as I have constructed two islands of live rock that I drilled and bolted with nylon rod and nuts to fit the depth of the 46. Oh well, for 40 bucks I dont think I can pass it up.

jack

40b way cooler then bow.good luck with it.

Thanks!

I really liked the look of the 46...but never liked the center brace. I just wish the 40 was a bit deeper,

But I think I'll like it.

I love the dimensions of the 40br. Lots of lighting options, not too deep so maintenance shouldn't be a problem and you can fit all kinds of sump designs underneath them. Better luck on your new tank and no better peice of mind than knowing your starting fresh and not taking over a heap of problems.

I love the dimensions of the 40br. Lots of lighting options, not too deep so maintenance shouldn't be a problem and you can fit all kinds of sump designs underneath them. Better luck on your new tank and no better peice of mind than knowing your starting fresh and not taking over a heap of problems.

You got that right bro!

Archived