Coral Vue Hydros

Allsorts - don't ya love 'em ....

LEEWINK

ok, here goes, first post here, let's here ya, yo ! , how we doin'.

i'm in the middle of properly nano'ing now, i'm getting the bits together now for my existing tank to upgrade, i've sorted my lighting (3x tubes - 1x 9500k, 1x 7500k triton, 1x actinic blue), changed salts from kxxx to rxxx crystals, and i'm seeking advice on live rock and cleanup crew now.

my tank is 27x12x15 which is roughly 71 ltrs or 15.7 gall (uk).

i'm looking at 11kg of fiji live rock

16 astrea turbo snails

8 hermits

now the thing being turbo snails grow or are sold large and would this take attention off of the lovely surroundings (he hopes not)

the tank will only have 2 clownfish in.

any other suggestions regarding snails.

would you say the above list is too much for me.

i'll leave it with you, cheers guys/gals, lee B)

Hi Lee, this will bring your thread to the top and I'll make suggestion as well.

The amount of live rock is fine. More is always better.

16 Astrea snails is a little too much IMO. I have 8 in my 24G and they keep things under control. Too many and you'll get deaths (from starvation) which leads to water fouling. Get about 8 and see how it goes.

Possibly, get 8 astreas and make up a few more from other species, diversity is important. there will also be various hitchiker snails/stomatella etc, all these need to eat,s o dont go over the top.

I would up the number of hermits to at least 14. The snails are plenty enough to clean the glass and rocks, the hermits are very useful for getting rid of algae and such off the sand.

I think turbos are just bulldozers. My larger Astreas sometimes know things over, so Turbos are defiantely out for me.

Stick with a max of two fish, I am doing the same thing. My reef tank's meant to showcase beautiful corals, I dont want attention diverted to fishes and more importantly, the tank will better off with a lower bio-load.

Hope this helps. Goodluck.

would you adam and eve it ! i've just got home, bought 10 hermits, and 8 small astrea, having a good munch as we 'preverbially speak', must of read your minds answer, i personally thought 16 was o.t.t. , there we go then, cheers chap, lee :D

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi Lee,

Love your Cockney slang! Reminds me of my mum. It looks like you got the answer you were looking for but your post gave me a chuckle.

Tasha

Welcome to the site Lee. Just be sure with 10 hermits that you have plenty of extra shells lying around the tank. They tend to be like kids with toys sometimes and always want the shell the other crab has, but having extra shells definitely cuts down on the fighting.

Archived