inTank Media Baskets

Arduino Pico Controller

plantarms

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are endless possibilities for a laser trip wire... You could mount the trip wire at the end of your driveway so that it is broken when someone enters your driveway. Thats what I would use it for at least.

Sorry to hear about the lightning strike! That stinks. I grew up in a house in Texas that got hit about every 5 years. We'd love it as kids because then Dad would finally have to get a newer TV! It never blew a hole in the roof -- that's crazy. All the old ranch houses in Texas had lightning rods. I've never seen one on a newer house. I wonder if they just didn't work or if they looked too goofy for people to keep using them.

Lots of awesome pictures of a hella clean install / build

I'd just like to give you a heads up in case you haven't done so already. Be sure to uses a current limiting resistor (1kOhm) on the outputs from the Arduino to the SSRs. This serves the purpose of protecting the Arduino GPIO from excessive power draw and is actually just a good practice anyways.

I like where this is going. I use an Arduino to control my reef lighting and I am considering expanding on it sometime.

I'd just like to give you a heads up in case you haven't done so already. Be sure to uses a current limiting resistor (1kOhm) on the outputs from the Arduino to the SSRs. This serves the purpose of protecting the Arduino GPIO from excessive power draw and is actually just a good practice anyways.

I like where this is going. I use an Arduino to control my reef lighting and I am considering expanding on it sometime.

Hey Cintax, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe with the SSRs i'm using that I do not need to wire those in. Anyone else feel free to jump in as I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

It's very likely that you will not have an issue driving the SSR directly from the Arduino; it's just god practice to protect the GPIO.

• 3 weeks later...

Made some progress on this recently. Currently I have the power center running my pump, lighting, heater, and ato. And i was able to replace the RTC that got fried by the lightning strike. The ethernet cable being used to provide an input voltage to the relays is working great with no issues at this point. Next i'm working on getting the temp probes and pH probe set up.

Not sure if you've picked up that optical sensor for the ATO yet you mentioned earlier-(I had considered the same one at one point) but I picked up two of the following sensors from this guy on ebay, and am using them in my 2 tanks for optical water level ATO control with a basic stamp 2. I also am using aquahub float switches as emergency cut off's.

I used some of that aquahub Mold-a-Holder (9 inch) stuff to form a bracket and just hung the optical sensor in my 3rd chamber of my BC29 & BC8 tanks. I also used some silicone and a piece of clear tubing that I got from home depot to waterproof the top of the sensor to bring the wires above the water line. I can get you pictures if you'd like.

One thing i will note is that on occasion, the sensor does get stuck open (thinking its out of water) due to air bubble build up on the sensor, so there have been several times where my cut off switch has had to do its job.

That one sensor you posted where it had a point on it might be a better idea than the rounded ones like the honeywell or the one i picked up.

plantarms,

where did you purchase the pinpoint probe from?

What tests are you using it for?

I bought the pinpoint probe from marine depot, and I decided on that one since it has a very long cable. I will be using it to constantly monitor the pH of the tank.

I bought the pinpoint probe from marine depot, and I decided on that one since it has a very long cable. I will be using it to constantly monitor the pH of the tank.

So did you purchase the PH Module from Atlas-Scientific to send the signal?

Reefmaster1996

Sorry if I hijack this thread, but I am always interested in DIY and electronics, (I've built computers before, etc) but if I build my own Adruino controller will I be able to get the same features as a of the shelf controller (specifically a Neptune aquatics apex), and will it be cheaper? Are you able to save data on temps and ph level to see how the tank params fluctuate? Sorry to ask, but this looks so fun.

Thanks

Reefmaster1996
Sorry if I hijack this thread, but I am always interested in DIY and electronics, (I've built computers before, etc) but if I build my own Adruino controller will I be able to get the same features as a of the shelf controller (specifically a Neptune aquatics apex), and will it be cheaper? Are you able to save data on temps and ph level to see how the tank params fluctuate? Sorry to ask, but this looks so fun.

Thanks

Also is there any way to connect the controller to the Internet?

Reefmaster

Simple answer Yes.

And Yes you can buy a shield which will provide a Ethernet port and some board even have it build in. I also believe there are wireless modules.

Exactly my thought.

ha, thanks guys, i think i'm just going to make this a one time project with maybe some future enhancements

Not sure if you've picked up that optical sensor for the ATO yet you mentioned earlier-(I had considered the same one at one point) but I picked up two of the following sensors from this guy on ebay, and am using them in my 2 tanks for optical water level ATO control with a basic stamp 2. I also am using aquahub float switches as emergency cut off's.

I used some of that aquahub Mold-a-Holder (9 inch) stuff to form a bracket and just hung the optical sensor in my 3rd chamber of my BC29 & BC8 tanks. I also used some silicone and a piece of clear tubing that I got from home depot to waterproof the top of the sensor to bring the wires above the water line. I can get you pictures if you'd like.

One thing i will note is that on occasion, the sensor does get stuck open (thinking its out of water) due to air bubble build up on the sensor, so there have been several times where my cut off switch has had to do its job.

That one sensor you posted where it had a point on it might be a better idea than the rounded ones like the honeywell or the one i picked up.

I did end up getting the optical sensor. Pictures would be excellent, I was just contemplating today how I would handle installing it. I was either thinking of drilling the back wall, or using some sort of pipe to set it up. Are you getting air bubble build up because it's near a pump?

So did you purchase the PH Module from Atlas-Scientific to send the signal?

Yes I did, I haven't had a chance to work with either one yet though, work has been busy. Are you considering that route?

Thanks

Yes you can definitely get all the same features as a controller off the shelf and the option to customize it as you see fit if you can code it. No, unfortunately it will not be cheaper, at least from my current experience at this point. I enjoy a clean look to my projects but it costs a bit more to do so. Also you can buy a datalogger and can save temp and pH data, as well as an ethernet shield to interface with the internet. The possibilities are really endless on your own controller if you have the time, money, and knowledge.

Yes I am going to purchase the modules from Atlas but i wonder it the PinPoint Probe would work with both modules?

"Z"

From my understanding it should, since it uses the BNC connector. All pH probes should work the same. I've also heard from several people that the stamp isn't needed and you can calibrate the probe on your own based on the voltage draw, not sure how that is done but it might be worth digging into.

I actually am wondering if the probe could be used for PH, ORP and Salinity. Because the Atlas Probes are about 100 or greater and the PinPoint probe runs about $30

With regard to saving data I was thinking about creating a simple database on a server.

There are so many Ideas I have.

I selected to use the netduino because it is based off the .net micro frame work and i can code in C#.

Also just successfully tested out my power center today. Everything is working as expected, right now the white leds have faded out and the blue are fading, at 10pm the lights will be off and the relays should kick on the fuge light and moonlight.

I actually am wondering if the probe could be used for PH, ORP and Salinity. Because the Atlas Probes are about 100 or greater and the PinPoint probe runs about $30

With regard to saving data I was thinking about creating a simple database on a server.

There are so many Ideas I have.

I selected to use the netduino because it is based off the .net micro frame work and i can code in C#.

Are you asking if a pH probe can be used for pH, ORP, and Salinity? Because if so then no, the probes for each one are different, for salinity you would need an electrical conductivty probe which emits some ac voltage and reads the resistance between the two contacts, and ORP has a different way of reading as well. I started to look into some of the extra probes, but they started getting crazy expensive and the effort of calibrating, coding, and upkeep on them made me decide to not go that route.

Database idea sounds awesome so you can measure trends in your tank and see how stable your controller really is. Maybe you could make adjustments to the code based on the data trends.

Here is what I want to do with the database Idea.

Basically create a simple web service that would be used to send data to a simple MySQL or SQL Express or Access database. The web service, if thought out correctly can be hooked into different controllers. I was thinking about programming it as a API which would expose the values or flat file import with a pipe delimiter.

Create a simple web interface which could bring up different trends. Have a simple test form if your testing manually which you could then enter Nitrate, nitrite, Amonia ,Calc, ALK, PH, MG.

There are so many things we could do with a historical view of our tank.

For instance if your using your controller to dose, you could adjust your dosing based on the historical values.

Ideas are just flowing just need time to get my controller off the group.

Would you be willing to install IIS, assuming your running Windows 7 or Server. Or I could host the data on my server and you could bring up your own web page to access your data.

Requirements would be: IIS7 and SQLExpress (Both are free)

"Z"

Great work on the relay box, It looks sweet! If you don't mind me asking how many V and mA does it take to trigger those relays and where did you get them?

The database idea is something I want to do as well with my project. I was to use the raspberry Pi as the base unit though since it has web serving capability's out of the box and with some ADC's you can use the GPIO to read just about any sensor.

How do you plan to calibrate the different probes, did you find datasheets on the pinpoint probes?

sorry for all the questions :lol: you just have a sweet project going here.

• 3 months later...

Here is what I want to do with the database Idea.

Basically create a simple web service that would be used to send data to a simple MySQL or SQL Express or Access database. The web service, if thought out correctly can be hooked into different controllers. I was thinking about programming it as a API which would expose the values or flat file import with a pipe delimiter.

Create a simple web interface which could bring up different trends. Have a simple test form if your testing manually which you could then enter Nitrate, nitrite, Amonia ,Calc, ALK, PH, MG.

There are so many things we could do with a historical view of our tank.

For instance if your using your controller to dose, you could adjust your dosing based on the historical values.

Ideas are just flowing just need time to get my controller off the group.

Would you be willing to install IIS, assuming your running Windows 7 or Server. Or I could host the data on my server and you could bring up your own web page to access your data.

Requirements would be: IIS7 and SQLExpress (Both are free)

"Z"

Hey cool idea to build a database to store historical tank info. I probably won't end up getting that in depth as it already takes a lot of time to get this controller together with multiple breaks in between. I would love to be kept up to date on how your project goes though!

Great work on the relay box, It looks sweet! If you don't mind me asking how many V and mA does it take to trigger those relays and where did you get them?

The database idea is something I want to do as well with my project. I was to use the raspberry Pi as the base unit though since it has web serving capability's out of the box and with some ADC's you can use the GPIO to read just about any sensor.

How do you plan to calibrate the different probes, did you find datasheets on the pinpoint probes?

sorry for all the questions :lol: you just have a sweet project going here.

Thanks, the relay box took a while to wire and mount all of those relays, especially using a nibbler to create a perfectly square hole for the Ethernet jack. The relays I am using are Crouzet SSRs 25 A. Check out the documentation here.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Crouzet/84134010/?qs=w86CByFkBKabD%252b1TyCwIfw==

As I've mentioned before, these are way overkill, however I wanted them to be able to handle whatever I wanted with low heat, and I found 8 of them on eBay used for a great deal.

Honestly, I haven't started working on the pH probe yet. I have the atlas scientific stamp which I believe comes with a good amount of documentation on the setup of it. Also for calibration I bought the different pH solutions to get a standard reading. I believe I bought the 7 and 10 solutions.

Archived