Coral Vue Hydros

this skimmer is huge for a small reef?

jcmg

hi to all, im starting a new proyect, i buy a aio 10 gall boyu and replace de return pump whit a mj1200 and lights whit the jbj unibody 54w, and i put a aquac remora skimmer rated for 70 gallons whit another mj1200, is to much skimmate for this small tank? any suggestions? any advice? sorry for my poor english! :P

krackerjacksna

With only 10 gallons I would skip the skimmer, plan on doing 2-3 gallon water changes every week and you will be fine! Or look into a aquaclear 70 with a media basket for some chemi pure and cheato in it

the skimmer will effectively remove all the waste in the water making it "too clean" it can be good for some corals (SPS) but if you are keeping LPS or softies where they like a little dirty water, then those types of corals might have stunned growth, or needs to be constantly fed

With only 10 gallons I would skip the skimmer, plan on doing 2-3 gallon water changes every week and you will be fine! Or look into a aquaclear 70 with a media basket for some chemi pure and cheato in it

thx for the advice , but i wanna extend water change ;)

if you have a heavy bio load then the skimmer is fine. The mj1200 is overkill though, i use the mj900 on my 10gal

thx james , yup i keep a heavy load only 1 fish the rest lps ,sps and some softie, i have in the return pump the mj1200 a lock line whit 2 nozzle and the mj1200 lose power i think is fine but i take your advice :happy:

krackerjacksna

thx for the advice , but i wanna extend water change ;)

If it is a standard 10 gallon, look into the CPR medium fuge, it's 19 inches long, stuff it full of Marco and skip the skimmer, nutrient export it naturally so your corals will be happy

the skimmer will effectively remove all the waste in the water making it "too clean" it can be good for some corals (SPS) but if you are keeping LPS or softies where they like a little dirty water, then those types of corals might have stunned growth, or needs to be constantly fed

that is the point "too clean" water, the skimmer was working like crazy a week ago now no foam and water look so clean, i wanna keep a little mix reef whit lps and sps maybe 1 softie , but only 1 fish, :happy::happy: thankyou very much for your reply.

Archived