Coral Vue Hydros

Mysterious Dead

Caronte

Hello everyone

I have two question about pest hitch hickers that happen in my aquarium:

Last week I buy 4 zoas frags (My first corals for this tank)and the same night I spot with a flashlight a crab that comes from the rocks, (very hungry I presume because wasn't any livestock before them) to nip in the frags. I counterattack the crab immediately but he manage to escape between the crevices of the LR. I was looking for him the whole week and this morning I found him laying in the BB dead. That's a good thing I presume, but the unknown cause of his disease should it worry me?

Because I was thinking if there is something bad in the water that can kill other livestock in the future. The only explanation I have so far is that I can cause an injury on him the first time when I try to grab him.

And for the second question I normally have a lots of white dots on the glass, phytoplakton I presume, but the next day after I get the zoanthics, I notice some brownish spots as well. I saw them with a 20X lens magnifier and was sea slugs eating the phytoplackton. I don't think they're zoa eating nudibranches, because they lack of the characteristic "branches" of those. How do I get rid of them?

The first time I get the frags I do the usual 20 minutes dip with Re-Vive, inspect the frags and remove the plugs and from then I typically found a dozen of those sluga per day. I remove them manually so far. (A paper towell catch them well).

Any help please?

Are you sure the dead crab wasn't just a molt? Do you have a pic of it? The spots are copepods, very good. These brown patches are probably just film algae. As for the other unknown, we will need a pic but my guess are flatworms. Usually the flatworms found on the glass are no danger and eat algae.

Are you sure the dead crab wasn't just a molt? Do you have a pic of it? The spots are copepods, very good. These brown patches are probably just film algae. As for the other unknown, we will need a pic but my guess are flatworms. Usually the flatworms found on the glass are no danger and eat algae.

Totally sure is dead, and the brown slugs are so tiny to take a picture but I saw them

with a big magnifiers eating the copepods on the glass and moving tipycally the way that slugs do.

Hi. When you ask about the polyp, how can you tell it is dead 100%? Is it missing some tissue or is it completely retracted? It is up to you. As for the slugs things I assume for what describe they are some kind of pod (???). The white dots on the glass may be spirorbid worms. Google this last one and compare it with what you have. Frank.

As long as the entire colony isn't dieing, no harm will come to leaving it in the tank. It also depends on why it died. If somthing like a fungus affected it, you will definitely want to pull the rock out and frag off all dead polyps and the surrounding ones, and qt with an appropriate treatment.

Wow, that is a tiny crab. I'm surprised you saw it. A general rule of thumb is that your ish can handle more than your coral. If the coral is doing great, the fish will probably be fine. It probably died from an untold amount of causes, but contamination isn't likely one of them

Hi. When you ask about the polyp, how can you tell it is dead 100%? Is it missing some tissue or is it completely retracted? It is up to you. As for the slugs things I assume for what describe they are some kind of pod (???). The white dots on the glass may be spirorbid worms. Google this last one and compare it with what you have. Frank.

Hi Frank

I know when they're retracted, but I have a couple of polyps that are completely dry and empty but still attached to the foot. And for the copepods (the white spots), I know they're good and desirable, but I trying to get rid of the tiny brown slugs that are eating the white ones. I don't have many, so I want to control them before it becames a big infestation. Do you think Coral Rx can work?

If its flatworms, they make a product specific for eradicating them called flatworm exit. Do they look like this?

flatworm.jpg

Yes patback thank you. I'll gonna look forward for that .Is from Salifert I saw

Are they really bad?

Archived