ReefCleaners.org

CCampbell 24x24x12 Deep Blue Shallow (update 3/23)

ccampbell

FTS

March 2013

IMG_3795_zps8ac1bd9b.jpg

January 2013

IMG_3750.jpg

GOPR0012.jpg

December 10, 2012
IMG_3687.jpg
25 NOV 2012
IMG_3581.jpg
10 SEPT 2012
IMG_3407.jpg
Front
IMG_3403-1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lighting

Ledtric Par 38 full spectrum
Ledtric Par 38 True Pop
Ledtric moonlights

Ledtric Infuse 4 (January 2012)

Filtration

AIO filter box- Sock/media, Chaeto/Mangroves/, Live rock/return pump

15 pounds of live rock

25 pounds of live sand

Equiptment

Maxijet 1200 as return pump for AIO

Koralia 240 nano (need two more)

AVAST ATO

Livestock

Two Occy Clowns

6 line wrasse

Copperband Butterfly

Sand sifting star

Coral (Still lots to be added)

Dendro (60-80 heads) SOLD

Tri color ricordia (1)

Hatian ricrodia (15-20)

Orange Yuma

Three ultra acan Rainbow frags

one red/gray acan frag

Red chalice (bloodshot)

Tom's Imposter Chalice

Red Monti Cap

Mystic Sunset Monti

Green Torch

Neon Green Hammer

Toadstool Leather SOLD

Misc. Zoa/Paly (Capt. America, fire ice, watermelon, big green pally,eagle eyes,Lunar Eclipse, Alpha Omega, Purple Puddles, etc.)
................................................................................

History:

So I recently came across a 24x24x12 from Deep Blue that was used for two days at a convention.. Price was to good to pass up, so now it has a new home...

First thing i wanted to do was a have a surface skimmer made that could also house chaeto/mangroves, filter sock, Live rock, heater, and a return pump ( my little AIO box).. I did some research on here and found a few people who recommended John for Advanced Acrylics... here is what he came up with for me, which is held on by magnets

IMG_3349.jpg
IMG_3351.jpg

Next was the stand build... No pic's taken during the build.. but here is one before and after the stain was put on.. (phone pics, sorry)

unfinishedstand.jpg
finishedstand.png

Finally, I needed to make something to hold the two Ledtric Par38's I'm using to light the tank... I ended up making this for about $20.. Just basic lightweight EMT for $3... two sockets ($3 each)... extension chord ($4) and a few pieces of hardware (just over a dollar).

Still waiting on a second bulb... trying to find one used to save a few bucks.

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

And Finally the finished product.. First pics 9/10/2012 (moonlights only)
IMG_3407.jpg
Front
IMG_3403-1.jpg
Front/left
IMG_3404-1.jpg
Front/left 2
IMG_3405-1.jpg
Left
IMG_3406-1.jpg

I have been trying to come up with a fixture for my 2 LEDTRiC par38's. Yours looks PERFECT, very well done, nice and clean!

What are the odds I could get you to tell me exactly what you used and how you did it? Im sure manyothers as well as myself would greatly greatly appreciate it :happy:

I have been trying to come up with a fixture for my 2 LEDTRiC par38's. Yours looks PERFECT, very well done, nice and clean!

What are the odds I could get you to tell me exactly what you used and how you did it? Im sure manyothers as well as myself would greatly greatly appreciate it :happy:

Anyone can do it... i'm no DIY pro and very limited to tools..

Home Depot

Needs:

(1) EMT pipe bender.. right by the EMT (its just a poll with a half circle on top to bend it...shhh I returned mine after using it) $30 (electrical section)

(1) 3/4in. by 10ft EMT pipe -$3.98 (electrical section)

(2) pre wired light sockets.. Around $3.00 ea... many options to choose from (electrical section)

(1) 7/8" drill bit $5 if you don't already have one

(2) 1"x1" corner braces (L brackets...Hardware section)

(2) Hold down pipe clips $2.50 (hardware)

(1) spray paint if you want a different color

Solder and electrical tape or caps for connecting wire

Wal mart

(2) electrical chords $3 ea.. again.. many options from color to length

Steps...

sorry for not having pics but here is the best I can do... really easy if you ask me

1.. bend pipe to desired needs (for me 45* then 12in. then 45*.. which put me in the middle of a 24x24)

2. Feed electrical chords through pipe

3. Cut a length of emt for the width between both lamps (for me 9.5 in.)

4. Take 9.5 in pipe and drill (carefully so it doesn't bind will the drill) a 3/4" hole in the middle.

5. Use that drilled hole to place the bended pipe from step 1 inside..Fasten with 1" corner braces (L brackets)

6. pull electrical chord through each side, and solder end of chord to lamp then tape exposed wire.

7. Spray Paint

8. use pipe down clips to attach to tank at desired height..

Really that easy.. Thinking about it, I really wish I took pics, but never thought there was a demand for this..

Good luck and let me know if you have questions

Sick build, I want a tank in the same dimensions

I actually spoke with John (advanced acrylics) the past few days about having him build a tank for me similar to this, but with built in AIO box... 3/4" acrylic, rimless, square edges, black bottom and back and shipped for about the same as this when it was all said and done (which was a very cheap setup).. Looks like I am going to have two new tanks soon :lol:

How do you like those cooling fan? Is it a chillmaster 2 by aquatek?

No these are adjustable plug and plays from rapidled... cheap and they work great

Great build! I have a similar tank in the works.

Thanks. Goodluck with the tank! This is my first shallow and I'm loving being able to see everything from the top

looks real good

love the scape

are you just using one par38?

thanks man

Right now a par 38 and 2 bulb t5... Waiting to find a deal on another ledtric par38, then it will just be two par 38's directly over rock

Tank looks great, & I love that light setup! Thanks for the step-by-step guide.

Thank you and you're welcome.. i wish I did the step by step pics to make it easier..

• 2 weeks later...

So I have added a few things recently:

1 Copperband Butterfly (will be the boss of the tank)

1 4-5in toadstool leather

1 tri color ricordia

and a new acan frag.

Pics to come

Eagle Eyes

IMG_3442.jpg

Red Blasto

IMG_3443.jpg

Orange Rainbow Acan

IMG_3444.jpg

Rainbow Acan

IMG_3447.jpg

Red/Gray acan

IMG_3448.jpg

Right side

IMG_3449.jpg

Left Side

IMG_3450.jpg

Toadstool

IMG_3479.jpg

Dendro

IMG_3452.jpg

Copperband

IMG_3461.jpg

From the top

IMG_3475.jpg

From the front left corner

IMG_3476.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Update?

I will get an update with pics this weekend! Sorry for neglecting this thread!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Text edit:

I picked up a used Ledtric Par 38 True Pop. Good color, but not as nice as the Full spectrum

I have sold the dendro. Although my favorite coral and the highlight of the tank, I wanted as hands free of a tank as possible, meaning no spot feeding.

In early October, I battled Ich.. It was 100% my fault.. I don't have space for a real quarantine tank, so I decided to gamble with adding the copperband. Unfortunately, he had AIDS/HIV, so I lost my copperband and 6line :( .... But was able to save the clowns in a extra 7 gallon tank I had (hypo-salinity) and they are now back in the display.

No new fish have been added

New corals:

I have picked up a few small things, but still have a long way to go.

(1) green torch

(1 red monti Cap

(1) Capt America (got for $10 at the LFS, 5-6 heads)

and a few other misc zoa and paly (sorry I'm terrible with names)

Updated pics:

Front:

IMG_3590.jpg

Right Side:

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

Left Side:

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

Some of the coral:

Zoa/paly

PinkDawn

IMG_3609.jpg

Needzoaid 2 and Lunar Eclipse

IMG_3605.jpg

Left to right: Purple Puddles, Capt America, Eagle Eyes

IMG_3613.jpg

Need zoaid 5

IMG_3620.jpg

Watermelon?

IMG_3624.jpg

Chalice:

Bloodshot:

IMG_3610.jpg

WWC Tom's Imposter:

IMG_3620.jpg

Mystic Sunset Monti

IMG_3611.jpg

Haitian Ricordia

IMG_3619.jpg

Sorry for the crap pics, I don't have a macro lens.. As you can see I'm not big into names, but I know others are; So if you can ID anything I would really appreciate it..

I still need about 1 or 2 big pieces (gonipora, gold/orange torch, etc) to fill in the voids, and then about a year or two of growth and smaller fill pieces (zoa/paly/cloves)

Very nice. I made the same style light hanger for my ledtric par 38 (full spectrum). I'm still in the cycle at the moment but how do you like the coloration from the par 38?

Very nice. I made the same style light hanger for my ledtric par 38 (full spectrum). I'm still in the cycle at the moment but how do you like the coloration from the par 38?

Full spectrum is the perfect color in my opinion. True pop is still very nice and has shown a ton of growth, but is a tad too white for my taste.

Archived