Top Shelf Aquatics

8gallon power head recommendation

saf

Hi everyone,

I've started my nano tank journey last Saturday.

I currently have:

• boyu cube 8gallon (32litre)
  • approx 3kg of live rock inside and 2kg of coral sand.
  • 55w heater
  • and the built in filter pumps 240litre max per hour.

My question is, what size power head should i be aiming to get. My mate is telling me 1400-1800l/ph. but isnt that an overkill? i've read 10-20x the amount of water so wouldnt a 300 - 600l/ph pump be more suitable?

The LFS also sold me some Aquavitro eight.four saying if i don't use this my live rock will die, was he just BSing me ?

Here are some pics of my set up so far.

20120910_091803.jpg

20120910_091825.jpg

20120910_091813.jpg

Also I'm pretty sure ive had a bad start.

For starters i used dechlorinated tap water to mix the salt.

the water was like 15o celcius when first started then slowly heated up to 26o.

I hope these errors wont cause too much issues but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd say 25 to 30 times total turnover is good (twice that for SPS). You also add your return's flow. 1000lph - your returns flow, should get you there.

Yeah, you don't need supplement to keep life on your rock alive.

sorry to sound completely ignorant but return flow is another pump i need to add ?
No problem, that's just the pump in your back chambers. I see that the Boyu Nano Cube MT-402 has a flow rate of 100gph (or about 375lph).

So you need to add a pump that is more like 400 to 600lph (around 100 to 150gph), or around 1500lph (around 400gph) for SPS.

EDIT: Forget about SPS with that 18W PC light that it has. You'll need to keep corals that have lower light requirements.

Archived